Advice needed on adding to my flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fiona Palmer, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Fiona Palmer

Fiona Palmer New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I got my 4 Chickens in November 2011 from a good farm and they were 18 weeks old. I am new at keeping chickens and I live in the UK. When I bought my chickens I was told they were Hybrids (Not sure what this means but they are all brown ), My friends have different breeds and I was thinking off adding 4 more chickens of different breeds but not sure how my flock would react or what to do really I have plenty of room for more chickens, Any advice would be welcome. Thanks [​IMG]

2. I have found it best to keep them separated for at least a week just to make sure that the new ones are not sick and infect your flock. Some say as much as a month, but this can be very difficult depending on your set up.
    After the quarantine, I put them in the coop that has an area divided by chicken wire so that they can see each other but not touch for at least 2 more weeks before placing them together. For the first several days there will be some small skirmishes as they establish a new pecking order, but they tend to be minor.
    That is only what I have done and has worked for me. I have heard of people just throwing them together right away, but this can lead to some very serious fights not to mention cross contamination of any illness. Most people actually say that I put mine together too soon.

PS. It really helps if the new ones are the same size as the old ones

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  3. Fiona Palmer

Fiona Palmer New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Thanks for the advice Bairo really appreciate it especially the last bit Thanks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by