Advice needed on bird health

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Taniagirly, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Taniagirly

Taniagirly New Egg

Nov 28, 2013
    United Arab Emirates
    Hi everyone!
    I'm very new to this.... We had 2 ducks, 2 chickens (several chicks died in first week), 2 quails and a turkey. They were all bought as chicks about 4 months ago, and they get on well together. The turkey died about 2 months ago after running around crazy for an hour and now one of the chickens has died. I have kept other birds before so I can see they all LOOK healthy but I want to find out if there is anything I could do to ensure they don't have disease etc. They all live together in a huge cage, on sand (we live in the desert). They all eat the same feed but I have a vege garden so they are supplemented with a lot of greens every day also. Minah birds go in and out of the enclosure but I don't see any signs of mites. Just want to make sure, as a complete newbie.....I'm a medical student so I don't have time to learn chickens and humans health but if there are some basics anyone could recommend it would be great :) Also does anyone know when/if they will lay? They are all female.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What is the feed they are all on?

Birds die but if you lose more than one It is best to have a necropsy done to see for sure what's up.

As a med student, you understand how many different maladies can affect a species.

3. Taniagirly

Taniagirly New Egg

Nov 28, 2013
    United Arab Emirates
    Not sure the name of the feed.... They sell it at the market along with the birds. The guys don't speak English so probably no way to find out either [​IMG] but is there anything I need to be giving in addition to ensure they are healthy (deworming or something)? They are all fat and healthy just don't want any more of them dropping dead if it can be prevented (along with my children taking the opportunity to carry them through the house).

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I was wondering if you were feeding a medicated starter, grower, finisher or layer feed.
    With a mixed flock like that, you probably need to give them a higher protein grower. The quail and turkey need it. Ducks shouldn't have medicated.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by