Advice needed on getting more chicks

JPinVT

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Vermont
Hi there! I'd love some advice, so thanks in advance:

I ordered McMurray's "Special Assorted Bargain" and now have 24 4-week-old chicks happy and healthy in their new coop. My problem is that it looks to my newbie eyes like at least 3/4 of them are cockerels, which isn't too surprising I guess given that the hatchery essentially sent whatever left-over chicks they had, and those were more than likely boys. My coop is 60sq ft, and I was planning to keep around 12 chickens (11 pullets and 1 roo). I knew by ordering straight run that I'd have to rehome a lot of roos, but I thought I'd also get enough pullets in that order, which doesn't seem to be true
sad.png
I can count only 4 for-sure pullets and a handful that could go either way.

Has anyone else had a similar experience (i.e. ordering an assortment of chicks from a hatchery and having them be mostly male)? I know I should've expected that, but it's frustrating! Now I'm thinking that I should buy more chicks this weekend - there's a family in my town selling their newly hatched chicks that need to go ASAP. But what if I get say 4-6 more chicks (sex-linked this time so no more roos), and it turns out my sexing skills are horrible and I really do have about 12 pullets already in the coop at home?!
he.gif
I'm going slightly insane here, if you can't tell! I know you guys always say more chicks is more better
tongue.png
But I hate that I have to rehome the roos I'm growing attached to, so I really don't want to have to do the same to pullets I don't have room for.

So what do you think? Wait a while longer til I can sex my current chicks for sure (but will the chick season be over by then?), or go ahead and get a few more chicks this weekend?

Well, I'm the one person on this site that will tell you not to get any more chicks now. Rehoming is not easy and they are usually killed anyway. My advice is to keep what you have, make the flock you like, then add to it later. I wish now that I would have gotten a few less (I only have six hens) then I could have let one of them hatch some chicks. I just don't have the space for more so can't add now..

Just enjoy what you've got, get rid of ones you can't keep and decide what to do later. Best of luck!
thumbsup.gif

Phew, ok. Thank you for your response! I really needed someone to bring me down to reality before I went chick crazy
smile.png
I think I'll follow that advice.

Back
Top Bottom