1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice needed on medicating sick roo.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dandymandie, Mar 16, 2017.

1. dandymandie

dandymandie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    My silkie roo has been sick for quite some time. About 1.5 months. He is one of 8 chickens and he is the only one showing any signs of being sick. He was wheezing and sneezing at first but still acting normal. Slowly his crow got shorter and shorter. He was running out of air before his crow was finished. I visited the local feed store when I realized what was going on, I thought maybe bacterial so I asked for advice with antibiotics. I was told they had been banned but was offered vet rx which I sprayed in coop, put under my roos wings, and put in water for a while. I did this for a week while keeping they coop very clean and as dry as I could in this weather. We had some flooding in the coop and it was almost impossible to keep the ground underneath it dry. He wasn't improving so I ordered oxytetracycline (on ebay) and seperated him to a small "apartment coop" for *most* of the day, with the medicine mixed in water. He seemed to improve after this routine of about 9 days. He didn't have the wheezy/whistle sound that was so loud and constant anymore. His crow sounded stronger for a lot of this time as well. I made it a habit to add electrolyte powder to the water he drank outside of the apartment.

He has relapsed it seems. I really thought he was better, but for the last two days he won't move at all, he doesn't eat or drink. There's no wheezy breathing or sneezing anymore. I finally brought him inside tonight. I feel so guilty. His comb is darker than usual and for some reason his crest looks "spikier" than normal. I have: VetRX, powder electrolytes, poultry probiotics, amoxicillin, oxytetracycline, apple cider vinegar, yogurt, eggs to scramble... But he won't take anything. I really don't know what else to do. Maybe it's a virus, but my other chickens aren't ill. Any advice on what I can do with what I have on hand? It would be so much appreciated. It looks like he might not make it through the night. :(

I also forgot to mention: I bought Nolvasan S to scrub my coop down with and planned on doing this when he got better. Just in case coop conditions were the issue but *no sick hens*. I am still going to do this but waiting for reliable weather. I have 3 Cuckoo Marans, 3 Minorcas, and one Silkie/Cuckoo Marans that my roo fathered.

2. dandymandie

Mar 19, 2015
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    Also, might it be it is a virus as my hens are not showing symptoms? Is it possible he was susceptible and under stress from the cold and wet and become sick that way?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Can you take him to a vet?

You mention that your coop flooded - did his trouble start after this?
    Are the hens housed in this same coop?
    Any signs of mold/mildew in the coop due to the flooding?

Without testing, there's no way to know what is causing his illness. Since you mention that he seemed to improved when you housed him in a different place, I would suspect that at least some of his symptoms are caused by environment. Wet, damp, mold/mildewed bedding or housing can cause respiratory issues like Aspergillosis.

There are many respiratory diseases that can have similar symptoms. Antibiotics may be helpful in treating any secondary bacterial infections due to illness, but you need to know which illness you are dealing with.

Separate him to a dry area and keep him warm, if you saw improvement with prior treatment, then the course of treatment you gave him may be helpful. Keep him hydrated and see that he is eating.

If you have vet care available, that would be best.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. dandymandie

Mar 19, 2015
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    Thank you. We live in a rural area, the nearest avaian vet is about 2 hours away from my searches. I asked a local chicken facebook for help and a local vet and they directed me to another fb chicken group that wasnt very helpful. I am a full time student and can't afford to drive to the nearest place and back and pay for the unknown costs associated with it. I really wish I could take him in this moment, he is holding on, my very first roo.

He was ill shortly before the coop flooded and the hens have been in the same coop with him every night. I kept him in the apartment with the medicated water from 7am to about 3pm. I let him out to free range, he seemed okay at that time, very active. He slept in the main coop woth the hens everynight and I only placed him in the seperate area when I let them out in the morning. Only recently he declined and very quickly. There have not been any signs of mold or mildew growing inside the coop but I can tell it is very moist. I dont know how to remedy this untill it warms up enough to take apart. I have been changing bedding frequently. He is inside the house now but wont eat or drink. He has been in the same postion for hours. :( Thank you so much for your reply!

5. dandymandie

Mar 19, 2015
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    I am afraid he might not make it tonight. This is what he looks like now.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  6. kissezmychicken

kissezmychicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2017
    I am so sorry about this. How heartbreaking that video is. Hon, sometimes we just can't do anything. What a rotten answer I know..I've been in your shoes. Most recently a beloved mini horse. We did lose him. I send my warmest thoughts to you and roo. Prayers of course. Hugs, Trish.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    @dandymandie I'm sorry, he looks like he is struggling for sure. If you haven't given him any antibiotics, at this point I would, just to see if he will improve.
    I see in your first post you already have Oxytetracycline on hand - have you been giving him any - if not, I would give that. You can also try injectable Tylan50 this can still be found at most feed stores. You can give it orally or by injection in the breast muscle 1/4" deep. Injectable Tylan 50 dosage is 1 cc or ml per 5lb of weight.

Depending on the package or "brand" of oxytetracycline dictates the dosage - here's some info to help you figure that out - if you don't see info that you need, post a photo of the package you have and we'll try to help you find the correct dosage.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...can-be-used-in-poultry-no-prescription-needed
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...acycline-antibiotic-in-water/70#post_17143928

8. dandymandie

Mar 19, 2015
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    @kissezmychicken Thank you for your sympathy. I am so sorry to hear about your horse. :( It's real tough, I know.

@Wyorp Rock I tried to get antibiotics at the feed store shortly after he started the wheezing but the owner told me they had been banned and she doesn't sell them. :(
    Thanks for the links, I am going to check right now!

9. dandymandie

Mar 19, 2015
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    [​IMG]
    This is the antibiotic I have. It only gives directions for use with bees. I appreciate the help.

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How much does the total package of Oxytet25 weigh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by