Advice needed on raising Silkie chicks after hatching!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silkies4me, Jul 11, 2011.

1. silkies4me

silkies4me Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Edgerly Louisiana
    I just hatched out 9 baby silkies in my incubator. They are from shipped eggs. So I know nothing about their parents. They are 5 days old now. And they are sneezing. I have a 250 watt heat lamp on them. They are in my spare bedroom, in one of those 50 gallon plastic tubs you get from Lowes. They are on paper towels now. The first 3 1/2 days I had them on pine shavings, but took out the pine shavings because I wasn't too sure if that was what was making them sneeze(dust from shavings).
    They still are sneezing. Their nose's are clear. No fluid coming out of them. Eyes are clear too. They shake their little heads alot.
    I was giving them vitamins and electrolytes, but read somewhere online not to give them anything but plain water in a small chicken waterer with 5 drops of baby polyvisol vitamins without the iron for the first week. They are on medicated chick starter.

I raised 12 silkies from another batch I bought when they were just a day old. I did put vitamins/electrolytes in their water from the time they were 2 days old. They are 13 weeks old now and doing find. I do have one little hen that is alittle on the thin side. She eats fine. I have wormed them all with wazine and safeguard. The other 11 are fat for silkies. I've checked for mites and lice and don't see any, but dusted them anyway with sevins dust.

I have my incubator up and running again with 18 more silkie eggs from a different seller. They are shipped eggs as well. They are due to hatch July 29.

Just any advice on raising silkies you could give me, I would most certainly appreciate. From types of bedding to watering, vitamins etc.

Thanks!

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I wouldnt really give them any vitamins unless they clearly needed it. I dont raise mine on vitamins and they are fine.

They are just sneezing because of the fluff. Thats pretty normal.

I read somewhere that you dont worm them until they are about a year old.

I use regular wood shavings. They still get their feet feathers really dirty no matter what bedding you use! I feed mine feed with animal protein at about 22%. I mix gamebird starter with chick starter and even the adults get that. I just put calcium chips for the adults. I feed a little higher protein just to keep their feathers in good condition and it helps the molt supposedly. If you have any other questions, let me know!

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I have 14 babies Silkies I got from a hatchery as day old chicks, they're 2wks old now. I've tried newspaper, wood pellets, pine shavings & shredded newspaper and they just make a huge mess no matter what I use lol I clean out their big rubbermaid tub at least 3 times a day and am constantly putting clean food and water in there. I haven't had any of them sneeze from any of the different bedding I've tried though. I just put a powdered vitamin/electrolyte in their water yesterday and was going to continue it for 3-4 days. My only reason for doing it was because the Hatchery (Ideal) suggested it in their instructions. Mine are inside and still under about an 80 degree light. It's been around 110 degrees outside here so it's too hot to put them outside in a secure area.
    I wish I could find the perfect bedding. I like how the wood pellets smell but they eat those and the wood shavings both. I know everyone says it won't hurt them but their crops sure do swell up. These are the 1st set of chicks I ever raised and I'm scared to death of something happening to them. I love these babies!

4. silkies4me

silkies4me Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Edgerly Louisiana
    Thank you all for the advice!

5. Silkie horsechick

Silkie horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Northwest Pennsylvania
    I bed in sand after about a month old. . . until then shavings on sand.
    they love to dust in it and the mess is less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by