Advice needed please 6 wk old chick with healed dislocated hip or leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Michelle6653, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Michelle6653

Michelle6653 New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    I'm new to having chicks, I bought 6 lavendar orpingtons 4 at 2 weeks and 2 at one week I noticed the next morning that one was limping, I looked at her leg and the hip/leg popped out a bit..after dong some reading I just thought it was a deformaty. Now that she has grown a bit I don't think that is the case I've done more reading and my friend has come over to look and think that it has been dislocated and healed while in the other persons care, I've tried to treat it as a splayed leg to hopefully bring it back to where it should be but nothing worked. She hobbles about with her leg stuck out in front of her and mostly lays around all the time she does get up to eat and drink. I don't know what else I can do, I would apprecitae all the help I can get[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

can she move the leg?

3. Michelle6653

Michelle6653 New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    Not really I try to bend it but it's stiff she can curl her toes around my finger but other than that, that is how she gets around with her leg out in front of her

4. Poultry parent

hmm, i don't know if anything can really be done if it dislocated and then healed in that position

5. Poultry parent

it is good that she can move her toes though

6. Michelle6653

Michelle6653 New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's hard to take pic by myself but Here is a pic of her leg, how it pops out from the other, when I try to move it back to position she cries like she's in pain, my husband says to cull her.

7. Poultry parent

if she has a lot of trouble moving around, she can't eat or drink very easily, is being picked on/trampled by the other chicks, and is in pain them you should cull her unfortunately

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  8. Michelle6653

Michelle6653 New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    She does have trouble moving and also gets trampled sometimes that's why I think she sticks to the corner most of the time, but she does manage to scoot and eat and drink...
    Thank you so much for taking the time to help me I appreciate it.

9. Poultry parent

you're welcome! i'm sorry that happened to the poor chick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by