advice needed please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by john44, Jun 5, 2016.

1. john44

john44 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2015
    I just have the 2 chickens. I have had them for 11 months and have layed about 5 eggs a week even through the winter. Yesterday though I noticed one of them seemed off colour, she was fine in the morning, and was eating fine, but later in the afternoon she seemed to go quiet, and just standing around a lot and not showing much interest. This morning when I opened a door there was just a yolk on the floor and she was sat in the box, which is unusual. I got her out, but she doesn't want anything to eat and keeps going back to her box and seems quite unsteady. Should I be worried? I had an egg from her on Friday.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    She could just be going broody. Is she plucking out her breast feathers?

3. john44

Jun 10, 2015
    Thanks for your reply, I did wonder that. No, she isn't plucking any feathers out though, but she is making a few squealing noises sometimes. I got her out and she had some water but isn't interested in food. She doesn't seem to want to walk around the garden, but as soon as I open the door to the house she is straight in there. The weather has turned very warm here the last couple of days too.

4. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    That is the only thing i could think of. If it is something else hopefully somebody will answer you. Sorry

5. john44

Jun 10, 2015
    Thank You.

6. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    did she lay a shelless egg? where did the yolk come from? try to give her vitamins and calcium. when my hens have laying issues they usually spend hours in the nesting box. watch her.

7. john44

Jun 10, 2015
    Yes, there was just a yolk in front of the door this morning. I have just given her a cold plunge in water for a few seconds, as it is really quite hot here today, she dashed out of that quick enough, she is nearly dry already. She just seems to want to go in the nesting box all the time, and every now and then you hear a squealing noise and clucking, like she does when she wants to lay an egg. She had a couple of mouthfuls of food five minutes ago and she is drinking plenty of water, I just want her to eat a bit more. They have plenty of grit and oyster shell mixed in with the food. I had an egg from her just on Friday.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  8. chickengr

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    sounds like a problem. unfortunately it could be anything. give her vitamins and calcium but make sure she takes them. could be some infection or anything else. when hens are broody they make different sound and they fluff up and try to peck you when you pick them up from the nest.

9. john44

Jun 10, 2015
    Yes, I phoned up the man who I got the chickens from and he said it could be anything. He suggested some actimel or activia (can't remember which it is now, anyhow it is natural, and this morning she has come right out when I opened the door and is walking around and showing a bit more interest in things. Yesterday she didn't want to come out at all. I just hope she will eat a bit of something properly today.

10. chickengr

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by