Advice needed please!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Romeo Flahoy, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Romeo Flahoy

Romeo Flahoy Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Norfolk, UK
    Hi, I have three ex battery hybrid girls approx 18 months old. I feed Allen and page ex battery crumb and fresh veggies every day plus some pasta, bread, meal worms, porridge etc... as treats. They live in enclosed run and have access to another grassed enclosure few times a week as their run is now giant dust bath. I've wormed them and they have constant access to grit and oyster shell and I've been giving crushed cooked egg shells.

Now... One hen is nice and fat but she is having constant problems with egg laying. Either not laying at all or laying thin shelled eggs which crack on landing. This only started about month ago. I think extra egg shells helped for a day but it says their special crumb should have all the calcium and vitamins they need? Sometimes she's tried to lay egg in nest box and it breaks or it comes out during the night while roosting/asleep and this morning I just found wet eggy patch where it had cOme out in night but she had eaten the shell/egg remnants. On top of that her poo seams runny and watery in day. The other two are laying normally and have access to same conditions but are skinnier than her. Why aren't other two putting weight on too? They all get access to food as I stay and watch.

Only thing I can think of is giving them a vitamin/mineral tonic but why do they need it? How do I fatten up other two as winter is now here and I'm worried they won't be able to keep warm. Sorry for lots of questions. Thanks.

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Ex-Battery birds can be difficult to take care of. The genetics of the birds isn't the best. You should look up the BYC member gritsar. I fairly sure that she has an ex- battery hen or two. She maybe of more help than myself.

3. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    First of all yay for you for giving those hens a new home!! It sounds like they may need some oyster shells..I have some available to my girls after one of my older hens laid a egg with thin shells.....and it has helped-I just leave it out for them to take as they want. I also would suggest some Apple cider vinager....organic. It will work wonders on the ladies! mabye you mentioned it and I did not see it but have you tried worming them? also looking for mites is a good idea..looking around their ears and head for mites...that can cause alot of problems with weight gain! As far as the poop..look at this page...-will answer any questions you may have regarding poo..http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

I am sure there are others with more experiance with better advice on the problem..I can only think of these two ideas...either way best of luck!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  4. Romeo Flahoy

Romeo Flahoy Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Norfolk, UK
    Thanks for your comments. I'll try apple cider vinegar and I got some vermx keep well herbal pellets to try also, so fingers crossed it sorts my girls out x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by