1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice needed please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck mad 2012, Dec 6, 2012.

1. duck mad 2012

duck mad 2012 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2012
    Hi all, [​IMG]
    Just wanted to ask a few questions about ducks here i go, [​IMG]

1) What do male ducks eat at 17 weeks old?
    2) do ducks feal the weather? Can they go out in frost/snow or should they stay in?
    3)Will ducks catch cold when they go in there pond on a cold day?
    4)Do ducks need food at night?

Also how can you tell the sex of an aylesbury duck at age 17 weeks??
    Thanks all xx

[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1) I do a all purpose feed like Flock Raiser,
    2) They are very well insulated. Many people let them out in the snow.
    3) No. Many people let their ducks swim in colder temps.
    4) No
    5) At that age you can easily voice sex them. Males will have a soft raspy voice while Females will be much louder and quack.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    1. All my ducks are on a flock raiser, i keep chickens too, and had/have various ages of ducks so that keeps things simple.

2. Extremes sure otherwise, give proper protection they should be fine, mine go out everyday, they were out last night, it was -4C

3. You'd be surprised at how cold it'll be before they cease to swim, usually the water has to be frozen lol

4. Young birds should, i keep mine with food/water 24/7 only exception is when it becomes to cold to leave water open.. i cannot run heated buckets throughout so i pull it, ducks should never have feed without water.

I see Kevin, answered the gender question, as i am not familiar with the breed. HTH :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by