Advice needed- possible egg bound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cayennepepper, Nov 16, 2013.

1. cayennepepper

cayennepepper New Egg

Nov 16, 2013
    We have a chicken who is very lethargic, staggers when she walks, and tail down. We were thinking possibly egg bound but cannot feel an egg at all. We have been giving warm baths and massaging with oil as if it were egg bound but I was wondering if it could be something else and a better course of treatment. She is a young hen just starting laying. Vent is not prolapsed nor is there a bad smell. Any ideas?? I hate to lose her. :(

Thank you!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Another thing you can do is give her a human calcium pill or a calcium glutenate injection. the calcium helps them to pass the egg. If you can't find the injectable calcium a human pill will also work. other than that it sounds like you are doing everything you can possibly do. Try the calcium and
    see if it helps. When people take a eggbound hen to
    the vet the vet will give them a injection of calcium to
    help them pass the egg.i ordered my injectable
    calcium online but sometimes the feed store has it. If
    they don't just use the human pill and see if that
    helps. I hope this is helpful and wish you The best!
    They're is something in the calcium that helps them lay and helps with the contractions. I would give this a try and continue with your treatment. Calcium takes a couple of hours to work usually. I really hope this helps

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  3. cayennepepper

cayennepepper New Egg

Nov 16, 2013
    So you think she is egg bound even though we can't feel any when we massage her abdomen? Thank you for your response!

4. cayennepepper

cayennepepper New Egg

Nov 16, 2013
    What is the dosage for the injectable calcium?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you have checked the inside of her vent with your finger and can't feel an egg, she's probably not egg bound, but calcium won't hurt, it's what I always give when I have one with a stuck egg.

-Kathy

6. cayennepepper

cayennepepper New Egg

Nov 16, 2013
    Do you think I should give her any Baytril? she loves her warm baths!

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What I have seen for calcium doses ranges from 100-300mg/kg (100-300mg per 2.2 pounds).

-Kathy

8. cayennepepper

cayennepepper New Egg

Nov 16, 2013
    What could it be if its not egg bound? She looks perfectly normal other than she's acting odd. She's a decent weight, clear eyes, no runny nose, We've given her some nutri-drench. but she's not eating or drinking.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Could be anything... Do you have a kitchen scale? If so, weigh her.

-Kathy

10. cayennepepper

cayennepepper New Egg

Nov 16, 2013
    She weighs exactly 3 lbs. We've felt internally and don't feel anything that remotely feels like an egg. What are your thoughts? She does seem more comfortable now that she's had a couple warm baths and is in chicken hospital :0) Just not sure whether to continue with this treatment or what.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by