Advice needed! Press and Seal in bottom of incubator ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by QuailQT, Nov 27, 2009.

1. QuailQT

QuailQT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    [​IMG]
    I'm starting to work on a homeade styrofoam cooler incubator and I don't really want to spray a sealant on the bottom because I don't want it to possibly harm my precious eggs. I started wondering if "Press and Seal" (plastic wrap) would work. It sticks just fine on the styrofoam and I thought it would be so easy to peel it off afterwards while keeping it like brand new.

Before I go ahead with it, I wanted to check and see if anyone can think of a reason why maybe I shouldn't use it. I've never made an incubator before and don't want to hurt my eggs. I might use it as a see through window on top too if there isn't any reason not to use it.

Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Sounds good to me?

3. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    for a window, i bought a pieve of 8x11 plexiglass from lowes.. it was only a $ or 2... and i glues it in with gorilla glue, then put ducktape to double secure and to make it look a little prettier.... no rough edges from where i cut the foam visible...

i didn't put anything on my styrofoam to seal it... but putting it in there to make clean up easier is a good idea... are you putting a harware wire platform in it?? if not i would worry about them scratching the press and seal and shredding it then picking at it... depending on how long you need to leave them in there as you wait for pokeys to hatch...

good luck with your bator

4. QuailQT

QuailQT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    are you putting a harware wire platform in it?? if not i would worry about them scratching the press and seal and shredding it then picking at it... depending on how long you need to leave them in there as you wait for pokeys to hatch...

Yep, I was going to only put the P'nS down on the bottom and up the sides just to where the hardware cloth will be. I've seen how curious these little chicks can be! They love to peck at everything including each other!

The last batch I had...I placed a little mirror in with them. They were all lined up in front of it chirping away and it entertained them for quite some time. It was so cute to watch!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by