1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice needed re: male ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by julia305, Sep 14, 2015.

1. julia305

julia305 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2015
    London, United Kingdom
    Hi there
    I have 2 aylesburys aged 4 months who live with my 4 chickens also 4 months. I thought they were all girls (which is what i requested from the pet shop lol). They all generally live quite happy together but this weekend I saw one of the ducks trying to mount one of the chickens!! They have done this about 6 times since and i have to go and separate them as the chicken is trying to get away. I did some research and found out that i actually have two males living with the chicks.

Now i am totally at a loss what to do.... my garden really is tiny its about 25 feet by 15 feet really tiny so i have no room to give them a separate coop. I soooo dont want to rehome them i love them so much they make me laugh every day with their waggy tails and their quacking and following me round the garden but i just dont know what to do. I dont want to get rid of the chickens either... has anyone had a similar experience? What would your advice be?

The reason i was thinking to rehome the ducks is mainly because of the lack of space - they are huge big boys i just dont know what to do for the best. Should they be in a bigger garden with more ducks? If they are getting randy should they be with female ducks?

Any help / advice would really be appreciated.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The chickens are at risk of serious injury or worse.

They need to be separated somehow.

Rehoming may be an option or - crazy idea but some folks do it - give the boys a place inside.

3. julia305

May 29, 2015
    London, United Kingdom
    Oh my god. I hope I dont get home to a dead chicken.

Do you mean inside my flat? What about all the poop though lol? I used to let them come into my kitchen and they would all race each other to get to the back door the boys loved it and even fell asleep a few times but the clean up operation took quite some time hahaha

Its such a wrench the thought of rehoming them..... I have to think of what's best for them and what's best for the chicks I guess.

4. elly21

elly21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Massachussettes
    We ordered 4 FEMALE ducklings and they sent us 2 females and 3 males. As sad as it was, we had to rehome 2 of the males. There should be 1 drake to every 5-6 females or the hens will be stressed. If you are entertaining the idea of bringing them inside your home, they do have duck diapers. :)

5. julia305

May 29, 2015
    London, United Kingdom
    Oh no really? I'm not happy with the guy at my pet shop - i remember we ran out of chick crumb and my partner was in there and asked him what he could get for the meantime and he actually said to him "you can feed them layer feed" !! They were about 8 weeks old at the time!! It was only because i was doing research on here and online i said to my OH nooo you cant feed them layer feed they will die! Then he said to me last night that it's ok that the duck is trying to mount the chicken he will give up once he finds out he's not getting anywhere and its only if he rips into her that you have to worry OMG so i have to wait til i get an injured chicken.

i'm still no further forward in what to do. I love my ducks dearly. they are my pets and i dont want to just give up on them but i do have to think of what is best for all concerned her not just me.

6. elly21

elly21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Massachussettes
    Well, I certainly wouldn't take anymore advise from that person! I would even consider speaking to the manager and letting them know that their employee's should be trained properly if they are going to be giving out advice. If the next person doesn't do the research they would loose their pets.

7. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Duck diapers are an option if you bring them inside. I have a house duck and will be ordering one when he's grown. There's a BYC member here that makes them. Also check out the house duck thread!!! Kukupecpec is the member. You can pm her or @kukupecpec....

8. kukupecpec

kukupecpec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
  9. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    I'm telling ya, my fingers are crossed that Louis is a Louise, that black and white polka dot dress that was posted the other day... Put me over the moon!!' If Louis is a Louis though... I'm seeing overalls or little pantaloons...... I want my duck grownup, just so you can dress him!!!'

10. kukupecpec

kukupecpec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ

Overalls!that's adorable! Oh man now I need to make some!
    I really want to make a ducky hoodie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by