Advice needed: Should I even bother?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tigerjane, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    I just received a shipment of eggs from mypetchicken, all breeds I choose specifically for their egg color, and I'm not happy with the color of the eggs. Some of the eggs are irregularly shaped, and some are small. Is it possible these eggs will hatch out chicks that have stronger colors in their eggs than this, or should I just scrap these and order from a private breeder? I paid $77 for these, so I feel like a schmuck . . .

[​IMG]

The brown are Black Copper Marans, the bluish in the center are Blue Ameraucana, and the greenish tan ones on each end are Easter Eggers. The brown one and the blue one in the top row, dead center are colors I was expecting. The whitish colors and the light tan colors were NOT expected, and I would be really disappointed if this turned out to be the quality of color my hens laid.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mother Nature loves to pull tricks on us. It can't hurt to incubate them; you could always keep them purely as egg-layers. I'd say go for it.

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    As a hen's laying cycle goes from start to finish, the eggs go from their darkest, boldest colors to their lightest. Since the laying season is months in, I'm not particularly surprised that the eggs are not as boldly colored as you imagined.

At the very least, I would hatch them out if I paid for them rather than throw them away.

4. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Oh, I didn't know that about the cycle, just about age. I'd read that small or irregularly shaped eggs are indicative of an unhealthy hen, so should I be concerned about that factor? Some of these are the same size as the bantam eggs I received on Wednesday. I'm just really bummed. I see these pictures of beautifully colored eggs, and I was hoping for better. I guess I can hatch 'em and see what they start laying in the future. I have very limited space, and I can only keep one of each type, and I was hoping for obviously colored eggs.

5. Xanthro

Xanthro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    No offense, but you seem to be unaware of how the color of the egg is determined.

Those are really very nice eggs.

The older the hen, and the later in the season, the lighter the color of egg. That's just the way it is.

Depending on the age of the hen, and it's already late in the season, your eggs should be as dark, or darker. Remember, each year, your eggs will get lighter as well.

That BCM on the top row is awesome. It's about as dark a BCM egg as I've seen.

In fact, I first saw your eggs on the other thread where you were talking about waiting for the delivery, and when you posted the pictures, I was jealous because those eggs are so nice.

6. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    "or should I just scrap these and order from a private breeder? I paid $77 for these"

I wish I had $77 to throw away....

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:She didn't "throw it away" she invested in something that she expects to get long-term enjoyment out of. I'd love to have more money to invest in my hobby too, but that's no reason to belittle someone who is able to do more that way then you or I can.

8. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Sorry, Just could not believe you were thinking of scrapping them after paying good money for them. I would incubate them and sell them.

9. friedeggs

friedeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Finksburg
    you'll never know whats in the eggs unless you set them. Please don't wait too long if you decide to.

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Definitely incubate them! They look like gorgeous eggs to me! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by