Advice needed- Speckle Sussex-1 died from unknown & 1 injured from dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DaveD, Sep 12, 2011.

1. DaveD

DaveD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I had 6 hens. 2 BR, 2 EE and 2 Speckled Sussex
    They were hatched Spring of Last year

a few weeks ago, one of the Speckled Sussex died. I think she was spending a too much time in the nest box. I don't think she was broady, as she was out of there plenty of time too. Then I left for 2 weeks and had someone taking care of them.
    a couple of days after returning, she was dead in the coop. before I had a chance to look, my wife got rid of her, so I never did get to look her over (not like I'd know what I was looking at)

Now a week ago, my second Speckled sussex was in the bushes and my dog had pulled a bunch of her neck feathers out. No blood, though. Now she has a wing that is hanging low and the toes on that foot are curled sidways. She was limping and has one eye not as wide as the other. I'm thinking a stroke from the stress of the dog "playing"

She isn't limping hardly anymore, but she is weak and not perching. She doesn't seem to be eating much, but sometimes a little bit. and she does take water some also. But I think the other girls are pecking her now. If I don't pick her up, she won't leave the hen house. And then she mostly just stands there or hunkers down. I also have to put her back in.

I'm not sure what to do. Might she get better? Should I put her down? I want to do what's right for her, but I'm not sure if I should just wait and see of there is something I could do.
    I also am not sure since it's both of them being the speckled sussex, if they had a defect and the dog just scared it out of her.

Any advice?

-David

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by