Advice needed - transitioning chicks to heat plate

RebelEgger

Free Ranging
May 10, 2020
Chester, Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
Our 5 3 week old chicks have had a heat lamp as their heat source since they were brought home. Today my heat plate (Titan Incubator) finally arrived from amazon!
I have it in the brooder box plugged in (instructions say it takes up to 60 minutes to reach max temperature) so while it’s heating up I am leaving the heat lamp plugged in. Plus I want them to get comfortable with this new scary thing before they have to depend on it.
Does anyone have any advice on how to transition them? Will they just naturally seek out the heat under the plate? Do I shove them under there? Encourage them to explore under there with food? I have the back lower than the front so they can seek out a spot most comfortable, we also have a runty so that one will need it lower than his/her larger siblings.
Thanks for any advice!

93D49D81-7430-47F3-96DE-F04DD32B3913.jpeg

All of the above lol. Maybe watch them to see if they explore it on their own and turn off the lamp once it's up to temp. If someone get whiney and acting like they're cold shove it under the plate. They'll get it.
One of them was half laying under it before I unplugged the lamp. I took a couple of the others and shoved them under. Going to wait and see how it does before I put a treat bowl under there.
The lamp is gone! Good luck chickies! Lol

So last night was the first night without any light on all night, now that the red lamp is gone, and let me tell you they were pissed!! Lol they did settle and sleep quietly all night but it was a rough start. Poor chickies, life got so rough.
Twice I had to take them and shove them under the heat plate, once they are all set they all snuggle under there, hopefully today they start going there of their own free will.

Back
Top Bottom