Advice needed with 12 week old cochin runt!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marlene, Dec 27, 2011.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    On the 1st of october i hatched 7 cochin bantams, they are now 12 weeks old and beautiful.
    One was born the same size as all the rest but i was concerned about her from day 1 as she sat in the corner by herself and only moved to drink and eat.
    Also she has never walked properly, it's more of a slow waddle when she does move.
    I did post on here several times asking for advice and help, but no one really knew what could be wrong.
    When i hatched my next lot of chicks (2 marans) i moved her in with the new chicks as i thought she would be better with the little ones as her hatch mates were getting big and trampoling all over her, she did a great job mothering the 2 chicks.
    Now i am back to square 1, the marans chicks are massive compared to her and some times when they get excited, if she is in the way, the will trampole over her also.
    Part of me feels i should of culled her when she hatched, the other part of me feels it is not my decission to take a life, after all she has lived fine with what ever is wrong with her for 12 weeks, she has managed and got by.
    I just don't know how to proceed with this chick, she is the size of a 2-3 week old, still sits in a corner most of the day on her own. When i let the marans out to freerange for a few hours, she waits by the mesh door, looking out for them and it's like she cries out and calls them. I have tried letting her out with them but she sits huddled in a corner getting cold, so i no longer take her outside.
    i worry that one day i will find they have squashed her to death and if i put her on her own she will be so lonely and probably cold.
    Having her as a house chicken is not an option as my husband would never allow it.
    What can i do? has anyone had a chick that has failed to thive for this long? and what can i expect the out come for her to be?
    Any help, advice, ideas, anything will be so gratefully recieved.

2. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Is there really no-one that can advice or help me with this situation?

3. CrittersNPets

CrittersNPets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    W. of Salem, Oregon
    I had a blue marans like that. At 4 months she was size of a 3 week chick. I treated her for coccidea and wormed her "just in case". She finally passed on at about 5 months and never was quite right. Slow, but ate and drank ok. I'm interested to see others input in case it happens again. I kind of wish I had culled her early as I just felt bad for her.

4. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Personal opinion if she's not in pain. I wouldnt cull. Maybe move her and one other one(keep her company) to another container so she want get trampled. See if theres some improvement give her extra goodies and vitamins. I had some chickens that were around 12 wks old and seem to stop growing. It took awhile to figure out that they had worms and once I wormed they started back growing. Im not saying this is your problem but I gave them a chance and they turned out just fine. If you dont have time or the means to keep her safe from getting trampoled then it might be better to cull.

5. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Thanks for the replies.
    I have tried giving her vitamins, treats, eggs and lots of other goodies, it's not made a difference.
    I can move her to keep her safe, but in order to keep her safe and from being trampled she would have to go in on her own, but when the others leave her she calls out to them, i would also have the worry of her getting cold if she is on her own. All my other birds are at least 3 times her size, at the moment she is in with 2 others but because she just sits around all day, the others just step on her if they need to get passed.
    There is no way i could of bought myself to cull her when she hatch or now, she is not suffering so i will keep her as she is and see what happens.
    What really bothers me is her walking, it just isn't right, i have checked her legs and felt them 100 times over and really can't see what could be wrong. I am almost sure it's the leg issue that is holding her back and also why she doesn't want to move around. She shuffles from one leg to the other uncomfertably to get around and her wings drop to the floor, her legs are disabled some how and i feel that is why she does not move unless she has to.
    Wish i could help her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by