Advice needed!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silkiechick1, Sep 10, 2016.

1. silkiechick1

silkiechick1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2016
    One of my chicks hatched today and the mother abandoned it to go sit on the rest of the eggs (about 8 eggs and they won't hatch for another seven days). I've read that chicks that are raised alone have trouble socializing. Will my chick be ok for another 7 days until the rest of the chicks hatch? Or should I go get one or two chicks from the store tomorrow?? Please help!

2. FarmerTony

FarmerTony Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    Alone means with no other chickens around. It will be fine just being around mommy until the other chicks hatch.

3. silkiechick1

silkiechick1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2016
    The mother abandoned it so I moved it to the garage. It's in there with a heat lamp alone.

4. FarmerTony

Sep 7, 2016
    What do you mean abandoned? Usually the chicks will hide under momma until the hatch is complete, but she isnt like a cat, she wont drag the strays back to the nest.

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I don't understand how a chick could hatch 8 days before the rest. That's just not natural. [​IMG]

I wouldn't get more chicks, if you even could. None of the feed stores are selling them here until next season now. I added extra chicks when I had 1 survivor from shipping. The survivor passed and I had extra chicks I didn't need. Give it a small stuffed animal with an egg timer or clock ticking might help. Also spend time with it yourself. It should be ok for a week. Chick will seem attached to you, hollering often and quieting when you pick it up. And it will be very happy when it gets friends and practically forget it dependence on your companionship.

Problem with putting under the broody hen is she won't be taking it out to eat. She decided the 8 were more important than the 1. If she's not actually being mean to said chick, you could stick it under her (maybe during the dark) and provide food & water close by.

For me, I would not keep a lone chick in the garage. How can you hear it crying if it isn't warm enough or if something else happens?

@silkiechick1 @FarmerTony Welcome both of you to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck!

6. FarmerTony

Sep 7, 2016
    I've had chicks that were dead in shell the day they were laid. It's nature odd things can happen. Especially for heritage flocks, there can be quite bit of drift and if you have more than one hen laying in the same nest, some eggs can hatch quite a bit of time before the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by