advice needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laverne34, May 20, 2010.

1. laverne34

laverne34 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I just noticed one of my hens is lethargic and her eyes are droopy (half closed) I brought her inside and gave her some water. She's not interested in food.

2. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Do you have any electrolytes you can put in her water? You need to keep her hydrated until you can assess what's going on. You can also try Pedialyte. I would also try and get her to eat, maybe try some plain yogurt and/or mashed hardboiled egg mashed with a little layer food. Put her in a quiet dark place.

Has she laid an egg recently? If not you might want to check her vent to see if she's egg bound. Have you wormed? You might also want to check her closely for mites or lice. Just some ideas!

Sorry I can't be of more help, any other symptoms you've notice?

3. laverne34

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I did get her to drink and she's inside my house now in a dog crate...seems to be content. I will give her some electrolytes. She laid an egg yesterday but will check her vent. I live in AZ and it's really getting hot here so maybe that is part of the problem. I will also try the food and keep you posted.

4. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I also live in Arizona and we lost 2 to the heat this past Sunday..... Do they have plenty of shade and fresh water? The two we lost were 4 wks old and didn't seem to know to get into the shade while they were outside. Our older 9 wk old girls are doing fine and seem to know how to stay cool during the hot part of the day.

5. laverne34

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    So sorry to hear you lost 2 birds. My hen is 14 months old....and now that I forced fluids on her she's doing better. She's eating and her eyes are wide open. I do have shade but maybe the heat got the best of her. I'll put her out to roost tonight if she's still perky by then and keep a close eye on all of them. So glad I was home today and caught this.

6. laverne34

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Just wanted you all to know that my hen is doing fine today. The heat must have got the best of her yesterday.....keep a close eye on your flock if you live in AZ!!! She's eating, drinking and laid an egg today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by