Advice needed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by niki9169, Nov 8, 2010.

1. niki9169

niki9169 New Egg

Nov 8, 2010
    Hi my chickens 5 large 2 small live in a shed thats 6ft by 4 ft they have a large totally secure run. My question is and I know this might sound daft but should I still be locking them in at night? Im concerned not about foxes etc but the cold. They have a small entrance out of the wind but it feels so cold in there, they seem happy and put themselves away at dusk and trot out at dawn. Ive ordered a polly tunnel to put up for them but is this being over protective?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you were in North America (with raccoons, possums, weasels etc) I would say you are probably dreaming about your run being totally predatorproof; but I am guessing you're maybe in the UK? and if so, if dogs and foxes TRULY TRULY TRULY cannot possibly get into your yard, then maybe it really *is* proof against everything but rodents.

If that were the case, I would say don't worry about it until/unless you see the CHICKENS worrying about it [​IMG] If they start to roost at the far end waaay far away from the popdoor, or start hunkering down on the bedding in a corner instead of going onto the roost, or if they seem unhappy, then you might want to curtain or close the popdoor. But really chickens are a lot cold hardier than most people give them credit for. If temperatures are above freezing, there is NO problem; if they are below freezing, then occasionally people have problems if there is chronic very very high humidity, but in dryish air most single-combed breeds are totally fine down to 20 or even 0 F (-10 or -20 C), just keep an eye on them.

(e.t.a - but even so, keep an eye out for signs that rodents are starting to chow down on the chicken feeder. Not only do you probalby not want to be the cause of a rat or mouse population explosion, it can also get really *expensive* feeding all those hungry mouths!)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  3. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    If it were me, I wouldn't feel completely safe unless they are locked up at night. I don't know what predators are in your area, but most nocturnal animals have no problem digging or otherwise finding a way in, and there's only one way to find out that the chickens were not secured enough. I'd say better safe than sorry

4. niki9169

niki9169 New Egg

Nov 8, 2010
    Thanks guys, will keep an eye open for rats and will put a cloth door up just for peace of mind:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by