1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

advice needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nugget, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Nugget

Nugget Songster 10 Years

Sep 2, 2007
    I have one 8 week old that I am treating for coccidia (bloody poop). The others are healthy, and I think this one is on the rebound (has never acted sick, I don't see any more bloody poo).

I would like to add in my 5 week olds with them. They are now all eating medicated chick starter.

Do you think this is a bad idea? If so, how long would you wait? I've been treating the one pullet for 5 days.

2. angelmarie

angelmarie Songster

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    i think you should take the sick chick out of the flock watch the rest of them for a few days for symptoms then add them, but thats just my opinion

3. Nugget

Nugget Songster 10 Years

Sep 2, 2007
    I had the sick one in my basement for about 5 days (then had a forest fire evacuation where we took all the animals and spent the night at my in-laws) When we returned I ended up putting her with the other 8 weekers again. She seems to be about 90% to me.

So hard to know what is best. I thought with the medicated food any exposure to infected poo should just add to the 5 week old's immunity?? I probably am rushing things...

4. angelmarie

angelmarie Songster

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    well just give it some time i know its hard i already want to put my little silkie w/ the flock and he's only a few days old!!! lol [​IMG] but, make sure to be extra careful you never know what kind of thing they could catch, and being around a sick chicken could lower their immune system

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: