1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mabaker, Feb 27, 2013.

1. mabaker

mabaker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Our duck has been sat on eggs, 14 in total and this morning appeared with four ducklings, and has appeared to have abandoned the nest. Shall I put her and her ducklings in a safe place, or is she likely to go back and sit on the remaining eggs?

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I am guessing that she is done with the hatch. Generally the duck doesn't walk around with ducklings unless she is "done". Is there another female duck that was also "sitting" with her. I have had two hatch out of the same clutch before. You could try to candle the remaining eggs to see if there is life in any of them and then decide based on that. Good luck and I hope this is helpful and have a blessed day.

3. mabaker

mabaker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Hi thank you for the advice, she was sat in a bush with the eggs, we noticed the ducklings this morning when she got off to eat, and then she returned to the nest. When I got back from the school run, she was up and out with her four ducklings wandering about, I have put her in the duck house at the moment, but should I let her wander about, as I am worried about the ducklings...

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If she is not in a safe area I would keep them penned up for about a week, too many things can get her and babies. that will give the babies a chance to gain some strength too.
    Congrats on the hatch.

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Absolutely agree with Ms. Lydia!!!!! Keep Momma and babies safe!!!!! (Now I have actually moved birds nests into safer areas as well) so I guess you could move it into your duck house if you have room, but security first on your existing group) and congrats on the babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by