Advice Needed

William1hens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 14, 2014
I have a 24 week old light Sussex hen.She is making snorting noises and when she was taking a dust bath she seemed to be snoring.She keeps getting a bubble on her beak near the nostrils.She hasn't laid an egg yet.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Make sure that her nostrils are clear, and not crusted with feed, dirt, or mucus. Watch for symptoms of a respiratory disease, such as runny nose, eye drainage or crusting, eye foam, noisy breathing, sneeze or cough, or swelling of the eye or face. Keeping the coop well ventilated without dusty or wet conditions, and avoid ammonia odor building up with clean dry pine shavings. Cleaning nostrils can be done with hydrogen peroxide or saline and QTips or tooth picks.

What should I do if she has respiratory disease.Is there any medication I should give her.

Mnay people cull chickens with respiratory disease since many of the common diseases such as MG and coryza can make carriers of your flock for life. I would get her tested myself first to determine if there is something wrong. Antibiotics such as tetracycline, Tylan, and Gallimycin are used to treat some diseases, but I would not recommend giving any unless you are certain that she is sick. It is also important to know what disease you are treating. This link will help you with the signs and symptoms of common respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom