Advice of moving a broody

Gwyllm

Chirping
Jul 14, 2015
South Africa
Hello everyone.
I have just started out with chickens, and a friend of mine has got 4 brooding at the moment and can't deal with that many more chicks, so they want to give me a broody. I've read here that moving chooks, especially to a different flock can break broodiness, so my question is, what would be the best way to go about this?
My plan at the moment is to have her sit in a box for a couple of days where she is, on golf balls, and one night while she sleeps close the box and move her to my property, and then leave her for a couple more days to see if she stays broody. I will then place some eggs under her, or chicks after a while longer then, depending on what I can get my hands on.
Is this alright to do it like this? She just went broody this morning, or broody proper.
Thanks, I will appreciate all help :)

Hello everyone.
I have just started out with chickens, and a friend of mine has got 4 brooding at the moment and can't deal with that many more chicks, so they want to give me a broody. I've read here that moving chooks, especially to a different flock can break broodiness, so my question is, what would be the best way to go about this?
My plan at the moment is to have her sit in a box for a couple of days where she is, on golf balls, and one night while she sleeps close the box and move her to my property, and then leave her for a couple more days to see if she stays broody. I will then place some eggs under her, or chicks after a while longer then, depending on what I can get my hands on.
Is this alright to do it like this? She just went broody this morning, or broody proper.
Thanks, I will appreciate all help
smile.png
No matter how you do this there is a good chance the move will break the broodiness. I think your plan is a good one, but I'd add a step. Put the hen and box/nest in a dog crate, or a cage that can be moved easily, and then after a few days bring her home as you describe. This way you can leave the hen in the cage (familiar surroundings) for the duration of incubating the eggs. Keeping the cage/hen/nest well away from other chickens after the move might help too.

Thanks, I'll be sure to do that. Can only get her this weekend so I'll ask the people who have her to put her in a crate of sorts for now so she'll spend three or four days in there before we move her. Really hope this works. None of my chooks are laying yet so I hope having a older hen laying and brooding will inspire them.

Thanks, I'll be sure to do that. Can only get her this weekend so I'll ask the people who have her to put her in a crate of sorts for now so she'll spend three or four days in there before we move her. Really hope this works. None of my chooks are laying yet so I hope having a older hen laying and brooding will inspire them.
You're welcome and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom