Advice on a 4 to 5 week old black sex linked hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by countrygirl911, Jun 25, 2010.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    hi i have a question i have 2 4 to 5 week old black sex linked one is getting huge while the other little ones stays small it is half the size of its sister which is the same age what could be causing her to be so small there are 5 chickens all together in the brooder. I tryed to bring them outside the other day to see if we can get the younger ones and a little older ones to get along and the chicken we believe to be a rooster atacked the little one and ignored the rest can u please tell me why she is staying so little and the big bird only atacked her and not the rest it will be greatly appreciated peloe are a pic of the chick we believe is roo and of the little one

[​IMG]

the little black one on the right is the one the above chicken attacked see the difference in the sizes of the 2 black ones and they are the same age

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. NarleevilleClucks

NarleevilleClucks In the Brooder

May 27, 2009
    Linthicum, Maryland
    I have 4 chics all the same age and there is one "runt" chicken...she's just a petite little thing. Eats well and drinks fine, just little...a good layer though!

3. carrlr

carrlr Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I wouldn't be to concerned about the size. What I would watch is whether she's eating, drinking and eliminating normally. As for being attacked by the roo.
    You didn't mention the age of the older ones, and it's hard to tell without a side-by-side picture. However, there looks like to be a big enough difference that IMO I would not put them together until a little older. Generally if there separated my more than 2 weeks I wait until the little ones are around 7-8 weeks old. Being a roo they like to prove their dominance and a chick 4-5 weeks old can't always react in the necessary manner to protect it self.

4. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    the older one is 7 to 8 weeks old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: