Advice on a CRAZY loud Marans

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by slranch, Jul 30, 2011.

1. slranch

slranch New Egg

Jul 30, 2011
    I have a 21 week old cuckoo Marans that is making CRAZY loud "per-clock" sounds. See the YouTube link below if you want to hear it. She laid one egg about 10 days ago, and that was her first. The noise is crazy. Started at 6AM this morning, and has been on and off in multiple fits. If this keeps up, she will have to go (I'm in a suburban backyard).

I'll take any advice you have. Concerned that she was egg-bound I checked her vent, but don't really know what I'm checking for.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Yep - she's singing the egg song for you. While this is most commonly after laying an egg, I've had roosters sing it, hens do it when they're alarmed, I have one hen who starts up every time she hears someone else singing it - perhaps for companionship. Sometimes pullets will practice it in preparation of laying. Give her a chance - this is all new to her too. She'll probably settle down before long. My older hens usually just sing for 4-5 minutes after laying their egg and then go back to the business of eating and dustbathing or looking for bugs.

Oh - and [​IMG]

3. slranch

slranch New Egg

Jul 30, 2011
    Thanks for the response. All the girls are exactly the same age, so there really isn't anybody to do the teaching. I have at least one Americauna that has laid a couple of eggs, but that has only been announced with a quick mid-day cluck.

4. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    They do tend to go more even keel as the laying gets under way. My Barred Rock was the nosiest hen, now she's just average. My Delaware took over and was squawking up a storm, now she's quieter.

5. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    She's singing her beautiful egg song. You might be able to get her to stop by distracting her.Try picking her up and cuddling her or tossing her some dandelion greens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by