Advice on adding to flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by the_damsel, Feb 10, 2015.

1. the_damsel

the_damsel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    I've poured over breed descriptions until my eyes blurred over, and I finally decided to ask all you experts for your opinion. I'm looking to add 4 new laying hens to my flock this year and want to get 2 each of a breed I don't have yet. I'm probably crazy but I have enjoyed getting all different kinds. This is what I have so far:

Plymouth barred rock
    Rhode island red
    Dominique
    Golden sex link
    Buff orpington
    Wellsummer

I'm pretty sure I would like to try Black australorp, but in your opinion what would be another great breed? I need a cold-hardy, great layer, preferably non-white eggs.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter egger. gotta have some blue or green eggs [​IMG]

3. the_damsel

the_damsel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    I've been debating Easter eggers. Are they pretty hardy for cold? How many eggs per week do you get?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mine have always been good layers, 6 or so eggs a week during peak production. I always give my birds a break during the winter, but they tolerate the cold just fine. They're also pea combed, so you don't have to worry about a big straight comb getting frost bit.

Besides the colored eggs, I love the colors the birds themselves come in...and the puffy cheeks......love the puffy cheeks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Definitely Easter eggers! I have 2 pullet EE. They're friendly, cold-hardy, and good layers . . . and I love the light green eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by