Advice on Automatic Chicken Doors

Mary Walton

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2017
Port Charlotte Florida
We are drawing up plans to build a larger chicken coop (chicken math!). Our current 4X4 raised coop has a manual pop door. We will be incorporating an automatic pop door into the new coop design. I've looked at several in my chicken magazines and on-line, but, I would love to hear personal reviews and experiences to help me make the best purchase. We will have an electric source for the door. Things I'm looking for: safety, reliability, ease of installation, clear installation instructions, anything else you think would be helpful in making this decision.
Thanks for your help! Mary

We have 2 Brinsea Chick Safe Extremes. One has been installed for almost two years and one has been in for about 8 months. They've worked great for us. I had to send one back because the spool wasn't winding correctly and they had great customer service too.

We are drawing up plans to build a larger chicken coop (chicken math!). Our current 4X4 raised coop has a manual pop door. We will be incorporating an automatic pop door into the new coop design. I've looked at several in my chicken magazines and on-line, but, I would love to hear personal reviews and experiences to help me make the best purchase. We will have an electric source for the door. Things I'm looking for: safety, reliability, ease of installation, clear installation instructions, anything else you think would be helpful in making this decision.
Thanks for your help! Mary
This is what I have and could not be HAPPIER WITH IT.. I researched pop doors quite deep and narrowed it to this one. Ador 1 and it is battery operated. Battery should last about 1 year. Works dawn to dusk automatically with light sensor.
397.jpg

IMG_20170511_123637012.jpg

I've used a Pullet-Shut door for the past 5 years. It works great and has been consistently reliable since I got it. It's very easy to install and is operated with a battery that is trickle-charged with a solar panel (both of these come with the door).

It doesn't take up any more space than the door itself, as there's no additional vertical space requirement (as you'd find with doors that go up and down).

https://chickendoors.com/

Last edited:
Thank you! I have read reviews on this model and some folks have reported that the door sticks in the up position or half up position. The manufacturer recommends having a cover over the door (which we will). Have you had any sticking issues?

Thank you! I have read reviews on this model and some folks have reported that the door sticks in the up position or half up position. The manufacturer recommends having a cover over the door (which we will). Have you had any sticking issues?
I think you are referring to my pop door. I have zero issues with mine. You have to also remember that some of the peeps that write bad reviews are also not very good at installing things according to instructions. If someone installs the pop door over an uneven surface, and there is twisting/binding action in the mechanism, then obviously it wont work properly.
I looked at the pop door Song of Joy has, and is satisfied with.:)
I passed on that method for this scenario. As chickens go in and out some small amounts of debris can accumulate in the frame. It can build up unnoticed for a while. A door that does not shut totally can very easily be opened by a raccoon. (have plenty of those here) A frequent inspection and cleaning would make it more safe. I like the Ador1 since it is more maintenance free.
The Chicken door is priced @ $240/245. I got my Ador1 @$218 which included shipping. Not a very big difference. It also matters if you have the room to install a vertical operated door. Ador1 can also be installed horizontally. Here is a quick link for you to read all their specs.
https://adorstore.com/products/ador1-automatic-chicken-door

I have the Ador1 also. I love it - opens and closes every day without fail. It’s been a little over a year with the same 6 volt lantern battery. It has settings to make it a little more sensitive to the light, which opens it earlier and closes it later, which I like.

The girls had about 3 or 4 days of learning curve, ever since then they have been in every night when the door closes. I also have a rescue rabbit that lives in my coop, she’s not as smart as the chickens :he. I have to check every night now, 2 or 3 nights a week she’s still in the run when I get home from work. :barnie

I have the Advanced Automatic Chicken Door from Fleming Outdoors. I just have the module & used my own plywood door. Works by timer or opens & closes according to your GPS coordinates either at sunrise/sunset or any amount of time you set before or after. You never have to reset the time for DS or stuff like that. It also has the second call feature for your chickens if you desire. It is electric with a battery backup. You can run it all on batteries if you wish. Had mine for 3 years. Some problems in the first year & they replaced it, no problem. Excellent customer service. Been working flawlessly for 2 years now. They are made in PA.

Back
Top Bottom