Advice on baby chicks with open wound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sefloyd2000, Feb 15, 2012.

1. sefloyd2000

sefloyd2000 New Egg

Feb 15, 2012
    Hello, I am very new to this forum and love it so far. We just recently bought 36 10 day old chicks and they have been doing great until we got ready to put them outside. We turned our back for a second and the dogs scattered them like crazy. We have 3 birds that have open wounds on them. 2 of the birds seem to be doing OK with just an open wound. The 3rd (black austrolorp) just lays down and doesn't get up. She seems to be OK but doesn't want to put any weight on one leg. i can pick her up and she puts a little pressure on that leg so I don't think it is broke.
    anyway, my question is this: How should I treat the open wounds on the birds. One of the birds actually has a hole right at the top of it's rear tail feather and the bone is broke there at the tail. it actually seems to be doing the best though.
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you, Scott.

2. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    Put some betadyne on the wounds, to help keep them clean. Do that for a few days until they start to heal, just to make sure.

As for the one that won't walk appropriately, I would quarantine that bird into a "hospital box" or some other area where it can heal without the other birds picking on it. If it doesn't move much, it might not be getting enough food and water. separate the bird someplace where it can be warm and safe (I would still think 10 day old chicks would be in a brooder?) By letting it be alone, it can eat and drink at its own pace without competition, no one else will be pecking at its open wound, and it may heal fine on its own.

If you notice that the other birds are picking at the wound of the other 2 as well, quarantine them with the last one, and let them all heal up.

3. sefloyd2000

sefloyd2000 New Egg

Feb 15, 2012
    Thank you very much for your reply. The chicks are actually closer to 20 days old now and growing like weeds. We have all 3 birds separated for the time being to see how they look. I believe they will all come around after the shock wears off but it was scary nonetheless. We have the injured birds under a heat lamp to help in the recovery and will keep the other chicks under heat as well.
    Thank you for the advice on the betadyne. We actually have some from where one of the dogs got injured. How ironic.

Thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by