Advice on Bantam chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by heby, Mar 20, 2013.

1. heby

heby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in. I am thinking about getting some bantam chicks from the local TSC. They usually get some that have fully feathered legs. The lady that was unpacking them today said that usually the males are the ones that have full feathered legs. Does this sound correct? They are all straight run and we aren't allowed to hold them but I was wondering if bantams can be feather sexed as well or if they can be sexed by different methods. I really would like all pullets since I already have 2 roosters. I would just hate to get each of my kids a new baby for Easter and then have to end up getting rid of it cause its a roo.

2. Vicky2479

Vicky2479 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Hmmm I don't think I have heard of any breed that only has males with feathered legs, what actual breed are they? Unless they are a sexlink breed (meaning the boys hatch one colour and the girls another) then I think it is near impossible just by sight alone to tell sex at a very young age.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yep, only certain breeds can be feather sexed. What you'll find with feathered legs in the bantam bin at TSC (likely Cochins, Silkies and D'uccles) are not one of those breeds. Cochins are supposed to have heavily feathered legs, males and females, so much so that the middle toe should be well feathered. This is also a desired trait in Silkies, though you're not likely to find that on TSC chicks. I picked up 2 bantam Cochins from TSC and their legs are well feathered, down the middle toe and all. The Silkie I got at the same time is not as well feathered. My Silkies bought from a breeder all have very heavy feathering on their feet, the rooster and the hens.
    If you're buying from the straight run bin, you're obviously taking a gamble. Let the dice roll, thats what I did. The chicks are cute and healthy and I'll figure out what to do with extra roosters when the time comes. Thats about all there is to it. Good luck!
    Nikki

4. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    Thank you. From what I had seen online about the different breeds both male and female had feathered feet but I didn't want to correct her. How can you tell if they are silkies because I'd really love to have one of those? A few of the chicks they had yesterday had fully feathered legs but the workers seem to get a little impatient when you keep asking them to pick up each one. Well if they would let me in there, I'd look for myself. [​IMG] I hoping they get more feathered ones next week so I can surprise my kids with a few. It will add some pretty colors to my backyard flock.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If you're searching for Silkies, pick chicks with black skin and extra toes. Silkies from TSC may not have both of these characteristics, but they should show one or they other. Alot of times you can see the little poof where the crest will sit on top of their heads too. The folks at TSC shouldn't get snippy about going through the chicks, thats their job. When I've bought chicks from there I take much longer to choose if they seem to be grumpy about it, haha!

6. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    No one there seems to know how to tell their difference and since they are straight run I look closer than usual and with so many adorable fluffs it takes a while to decide. haha. Thank goodness they only every have about 25 or so in there. It will be my first time ever buying chicks so I'm super excited. We just hatched out our 2 batch of babies and waiting on the 3rd batch next week. I will be overloaded with baby chicks but I wanted different ones so I head to TSC to hang over the pens and talk myself into buying. Next week I'm def buying me some.

7. Eggnog101

Eggnog101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    good luck with your little ones!

8. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by