Advice on birth defect

draebear

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 13, 2010
One of the 12 fertilized silkie eggs I bought hatched, using one of those cheap styrofoam incubators (I do not recommend them - could not regulate the temperature). The chick hatched about 8 weeks ago with a leg deformity. Her left leg sticks out to the side and she cannot stand on it at all. We didn't notice this until the day after she hatched, then we were told to try tying the legs together. That didn't work, maybe because it was too late or the problem cannot be corrected. My question is: after 8 weeks she isn't growing very much. She gets around in her pen by hopping and flopping, but she cannot move like the others. Is there any hope for her? Can she life a normal chicken life hopping on one leg and flapping around? I feel bad for her. I don't want to euthanize if she has a chance to survive and have quality of life, but I don't want to just keep her going if she isn't going to grow and cannot function some day with the other silkies in the outdoor coop. Any insight, suggestions, feedback?

You might want to post this under the correct section and not the games, jokes & fun one!!

I hatched on like this and we culled it on the 2nd day because there was no way that it could get to the food or water. You say she's not growing is she able to access enough food ?? I know there are a lot of people out there that raise handicap birds, you just have to decided if your willing to take care of one!!

And btw
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Actually, folks, if something is in the wrong section, please just report it, as someone did. Thanks.

I would say to watch her for awhile and see if anything changes. Its up to you if you think her life is worth it or not.
Would she do better in her own pen? I'm sort of the kind of person who will go to lengths to not kill something........but that's just me.

I have a BLRW like that, she can get to the food and water but thats about it. I think I'm just going to cull her, she'll have a much better quality of live after

Back
Top Bottom