advice on broken turkey wing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bibliophile birds, Aug 6, 2010.

1. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

so, i was moving the turkeys from their tractor into their new pen and i broke one of their wings. [​IMG] i grabbed her and she threw her wing out and it just snapped! it was pretty loud and made me nauseous. i knew instantly what it was.

naturally, it was the hen from the pair of Bourbon Reds i was planning to keep and breed. the break is in the humerus (bone 21 in the schematic below) pretty close to the body. it's a transverse fracture quite close to the body. i tried to splint it, but the bones just won't align OR stay in place, no matter what i try to use to splint it.

ideas?

[​IMG]

2. WhistlerChick

WhistlerChick New Egg

Aug 6, 2010
    If you can't afford a vet, I would amputate it, but I'd have the vet do it.

3. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

i could afford a vet, but i have a hard time justifying spending that kind of money on what is, ultimately, a meat turkey. i was going to keep her for breeding simply because she was the other Bourbon Red and i love my little BR jake.

i've got a call into the local avian vet (who's a family friend) for her advice. i really just don't want the little girl to suffer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by