1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Advice on Bronchitis>>>>

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by godsgurl4evr, Aug 7, 2010.

1. godsgurl4evr

godsgurl4evr In the Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    Bladensburg, Ohio
    I recently had what I believe to be bronchitis blow through my flock. I have 80+ hens. I hear a hen weezing one day and by the time I located that hen there were 3 then so on and so fourth so trying to Isolate it proved to be futile. the symptoms were weezing, barking (I dont' know what else to call it it sounded like hickups) snotty noses, I had 2 get swollen heads on one side. none died and they seem be recovering quiet quickly....about like you or I having a cold they seemed really bad one day then a little better ever day. Now there are only 2 or 3 still showing symptoms. However my 2 week old chicks which are isolated in an entirely different area are dropping like flies...I lost 5 today alone.

Would you keep your hens or cull them out and start over? I have read it takes 5-6 weeks to start laying again and that egg quality is poor. We had supplies a restraunt with eggs but when we dropped from 5-6 dozen eggs a day to barely a dozen....we obviously don't have the eggs. My chickens have never been sick before and I've been blessed to have healthy animals. Just looking for advice on what will be the best approach to handling this from here...

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by