advice on broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bad Wolf, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Bedford, NH
    Our hen is setting on 2 eggs. Today is day 19. Lola has been such a good mommy-to-be. She is young - not even 1 yet. She has been sitting and only getting up maybe one time per day to eat. But, I have noticed that she occasionally leaves the eggs on the edge of her, eggs exposed. When I have touched them they don't seem too warm. Should I be worrying that the eggs are not good? They don't smell. She also lives inside in our son's bedroom. I am very excited and nervous. Any advice? Also, when I candled them at day 18 they were good. We took the 2 away that weren't good. I candled one today and just mostly black.

2. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    She ia being a great mommy with strong instincts. Hens are so incredible that they actually know what eggs need to be cooled down, and which need to be warmed up! She's doing 'eggactly' what she should. [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    X2 Hens know exactly what to do. They rearrange their eggs constantly and sometimes they push them off to the side to cool down a bit. So don't worry! Just enjoy the hatch. Broody hatches are the best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by