Advice on building a quail cage/coop/etc

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Joshaeus, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Joshaeus

Joshaeus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    'ello all! As the title implies, I am asking for some advice on how to build a quail cage/coop. I know that I can make a small-capacity cage out of hardware cloth and a large storage bin, but am looking for other ways to build a cage. Is an all-wire cage a possibility? Failing that, how would one build a cage with a wooden frame? (If this helps, the cage(s) will be indoors and are going to most likely be designed for somewhere between 4 and 8 quail each...yes, I might build more than 1 cage).

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    This link shows a rabbit cage to consider. I built 6 cages similar 2' x 3' and I keep 5 quail in each. The floor was made of 1/2" x 1" welded wire and is 16 gauge so it has more strength than the typical 19 gauge 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth. The sides are made of 1" x 1" welded wire fence.

My first 2 cages made with wooden frames, and after cleaning them 2 or 3 times, I found them to be very bulky and hard to clean. So, I stuck with all wire cages and saved my aching back.

Good luck,
    James

3. rhodeislandred18

rhodeislandred18 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    If you look at my post "quail next week" you'll see my almost complete cage set up, if you were into building the same or similar cage, I'd gladly give you directions on how to make it :)

4. Joshaeus

Mar 1, 2014
    That wood-framed cage was almost exactly what I had in mind! Specifically I was thinking of a 48 by 24 by 12 inch cage, with 12 being the height. Such a cage looks simple enough to build, but thank you!

5. Joshaeus

Mar 1, 2014
    On a side note, how small do the holes on the mesh need to be to prevent the birds from escaping or otherwise harming themselves?

6. marksouth

marksouth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    it's not so much how big the mesh needs to be to keep the birds in, but to keep preditors out. Look at James dimensions in post above, he is right 8n the money.

7. Joshaeus

Mar 1, 2014
    So a 1 inch hexagonal mesh would work? (The cage is going to be indoors, so predators should not be an issue).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  8. luvburds

luvburds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Macon, Ga
    I had a big rat snake get in by garage when I was brooding chicks, don't have a clue how. If you're sure you're secure I guess chicken wire would work indoors after a couple of weeks. before that one x two inch square max to keep chicks in

9. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
  10. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I was a house framer in another life so I build wood frame cages 10'-16' feet long using 2x4's ripped down the middle, 1/2 hardware cloth for the floor, (poop doesn't pass well through 1/4) a 1/2" plywood back, 1" chicken wire fronts with a 1'x1' plywood door, for a roof I use whatever I got but prefer pvc panels to save weight.
    I divide it into 3-5 sections with slide in plywood dividers; the first section is really small, the next sections are each a little bigger. That way I can brood chicks in the small section, then when I get a new hatch I pull the divider and run the birds into the next bigger section, then when I get a new hatch I repeat the process and when they finally reach the largest last section they are big enough to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by