Advice on bumblefoot

susan1981

Songster
Apr 5, 2013
I posted the other day about my chicken who just sits down all the time. Someone suggested bumblefoot and they were right. We tried to remove it ourselves and I'm hoping we got it all out. This was the day before yesterday. Yesterday, she was still sitting all the time and today she hasn't even come out of her hutch and has barely moved. I'm just wondering if this is normal for recovery or if I should do anything else? Like I said, I'm hoping that we removed it all but I'm just really reluctant to touch it again as it will still probably be sore from where we tried to remove it the other day.

It depends on the chicken and how bad the bumblefoot infection is. Most of the ones I have done usually go out and free range afterward. Sometimes they will limp if it was bad. It could be that this was not her only problem. In your other thred you said she was 2 and laid thin-shelled eggs. I would look at the possibility of egg yoke peritonitis or internal laying as a cause of her not bouncing back. It may not be this at all, but checking her for mites and lice, checking her crop for impaction or sour crop, and worming her may help. Here are some links to read:
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis

Thanks. I will have a look at all of this. I did look at her foot again and I think we possibly didn't get all of it out. When I was doing it, I noticed what looked like could have been roots. I don't really know how to describe it. Like white discs of skin. Anyway, I've had another go and I feel I've got it all out now so I've re-bandaged her. I let her have the run of the garden for a while and now she is back in the run part of her cage as I can't leave her alone in the garden because of foxes. She seems to have lots of feathers missing from her tummy area and there area is really red. They don't have any mite infestations as we have dealt with that before and lost one chicken to it but their cage definitely seems clear of them.

Back
Top Bottom