Advice on chick egg - think he may have pipped the wrong end

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pinkyl321, May 25, 2019.

1. Pinkyl321

Pinkyl321 Hatching

May 25, 2019
    Hi all,

I’m having trouble with a chick egg and, as I am very new to this, I’m getting a bit stressed out. I would really appreciate some help.
    My sister is a pre-school teacher and her class was given a bunch of eggs. One finally starting cracking yesterday morning (Friday May 24th). I think he broke through the shell by early afternoon but I’m not sure as I wasn’t there at the time. So, now Saturday May 25th, it’s going on 24 hours soon. The problem is, based on what I’ve been reading and looking at pictures, I think he’s pipped the wrong end of the egg and so I’m worried he may need help. But, I also don’t want to make it worse by helping. He’s broken through the shell and I can see him in there. As he was yesterday afternoon/night (noticed around 5pm ish), he seems to be moving and trying to get out. I can see his beak in there. He was chirping a lot then and then last night much less frequently, but now he seems to be chirping more so again. He had made no progress on breaking more of the egg though. I’m going to attach a picture that hopefully y’all with be able to see. Do you think he’s fine and just needs more time or does he need help?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated upload_2019-5-25_8-56-17.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Mysticalsys

Mysticalsys In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2017
    How long has it been pipped for? Sometimes they can hatch out on their own and sometimes not

3. Pinkyl321

Pinkyl321 Hatching

May 25, 2019
    Hi,

When my sister got into work yesterday (because they were in the classroom until yesterday when the eggs were brought home due to the long weekend), she said he had already broken through the egg at 7:48am (this is Friday morning). On Thursday, there was nothing at all so I assume sometime late Thursday night or early Friday morning.

4. Mysticalsys

Sep 1, 2017
    It can take them longer to hatch if they pip on the wrong end because they didn’t have to go thru the internal pip stage

5. Pinkyl321

Pinkyl321 Hatching

May 25, 2019
    So would you suggest just waiting longer then??

6. Mysticalsys

Sep 1, 2017
    I would say wait till tonight or tomorrow morning before starting to assist.

7. Pinkyl321

Pinkyl321 Hatching

May 25, 2019
    Hi again,

I’m not sure there is much that can be done but I figured this was worth a shot. We finally decided to try to help him because it seemed the membrane was turning very brown so we chipped away the shell around where he beak was. At this point, we could see his head and one foot. I read a guide on here that said if there wasn’t any blood vessels showing to peel back the membrane over the egg so we did that as well. I am going to attach a picture of what’s happening now. We can see both legs but it seems like he’s stuck in the back or stuck to the membrane because he’s still not fully out. He’s been chirping a lot still. It looks like his legs are shaking, probably since he’s still trying. It’s been about two/three hours since we did anything.

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: