Advice on chicken breeds needed!!

Jan 7, 2022
What is a suitable but cute and friendly chicken breed for my flock of 6 chickens?? I have mixed sizes and breeds. I have a large coop with a wooden shelter 2 big feeders and drinkers, most of my pen is concrete but I do have a big free range garden that they get about 3 hours a day in.
Keep in mind I live in Scotland so it is usually cold or raining.
Any ideas for what breed???
Thanks if u help!

Don’t know if you have Bielefelders or Australorps are available is Scotland, but mine handle the cold well, and are friendly. Dorkings, Legbars, and Orpingtons are all English breeds that would be happy with your set up and are very friendly.

Last edited:
Hi from Louisiana, glad you joined.

What are your goals with chickens? Why do you have them? What is important to you with those chickens? Are you planning on breeding them? I'm pretty sure you are not planning on eating them but how important are eggs, either plenty of eggs or color and size of the eggs. Knowing what you already have and what you want out of a chicken would make it a lot easier to recommend a breed. Your goals and personal preferences are what are important. My personal goals and preferences don't mean a thing to your flock.

I'll include these breed selector tools. They only cover the breeds these two companies carry and there area lot of other breeds out there but maybe they can help.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chick_selector.html

Keep in mind I live in Scotland so it is usually cold or raining.
I got a giggle out of this. When we were visiting Inverness a family of four from the Shetlands were down for the good weather. That was April and the weather was nice.

I suggest possibly an ameraucana breed, they are hardy birds, that can be any different colors. They are hardy to the cold and rain, and I find them extremely cute:
th-2.jpeg
th-4.jpeg
th-3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom