advice on chicks with coccidiosis

I got this table from BYC

When treating coccidisosis in my own birds I use the 0.024% severe outbreak dose for 5 days, then the 0.006% amount for 7-14 days. Since I use the liquid, I use 2 teaspoons per gallon for five days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

The FDA, FARAD, and the mfg's say this:
"Administer at 0.012% in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 days to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give 0.024%); continue with 0.006% amprolium medicated water for an additional 1 week to 2 weeks. No other source of drinking water should be available to the birds during this time."
Source: http://www.farad.org/vetgram/ProductInfo.asp?byNada=033-165

So what does that mean?

Percentage20% Powder9.6% Liquid
0.024%1.5 teaspoons per gallon2 teaspoons per gallon
0.012%3/4 teaspoon per gallon1 teaspoon per gallon
0.006%1/3 teaspoon per gallon1/2 teaspoon per gallon

When treating coccidisosis in my own birds I use the 0.024% severe outbreak dose for 5 days, then the 0.006% amount for 7-14 days. Since I use the liquid, I use 2 teaspoons per gallon for five days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

"Administer at 0.012% in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 days to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give 0.024%); continue with 0.006% amprolium medicated water for an additional 1 week to 2 weeks. No other source of drinking water should be available to the birds during this time."

So what does that mean?

I am so sorry.
I misread your post.
I read that you mixed 1/2 teaspoon in to a GALLON of water which would have not been enough.

This means you always start off with the larger dose.

So what does that mean?

Since you have the liquid remember that in the future with new chicks you can give direct to beak drench doses easy too.

Remember to keep a close eye on all future new to you birds so you can start treatment quickly.

Kiki, please tell me what I did wrong.
1 ts = 5 cc
1/2 ts = 2.5 cc

the table indicates that the dosage for .024% is 2ts/ gallon which is 10cc/gallon
I gave them 2.5 cc in a quart
I am so sorry.
I misread your post.
I read that you mixed 1/2 teaspoon in to a GALLON of water which would have not been enough.

This means you always start off with the larger dose.
thank you for clarifying this to me. I was worried there for a while

Kiki, please tell me what I did wrong.
1 ts = 5 cc
1/2 ts = 2.5 cc

the table indicates that the dosage for .024% is 2ts/ gallon which is 10cc/gallon
I gave them 2.5 cc in a quart

thank you for clarifying this to me. I was worried there for a while
I read one word wrong. I'm so sorry.

Since you have the liquid remember that in the future with new chicks you can give direct to beak drench doses easy too.

Remember to keep a close eye on all future new to you birds so you can start treatment quickly.
Kiki I see you are in Houston, so I don't have to tell you how humid it is here, however in my 9 years of keeping chickens, this is the first time I have had coccidiosis in my chicks. I got 6 one day olds in February, after brooding them for 5 weeks, I separated them into two different yards. Only the ones in one yard got cocci, the others are perfectly fine. I know coccidia is every where specially here, so there might have been the chicks themselves being less immune than their other sisters. Also this time, I got chicks early. I usually get them in May when things are dried out, less coccidia around. Well this is my theory, I am always trying to find out why my chickens get sick to improve their lives and correct the mistakes

Back
Top Bottom