advice on clipping mallard wings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kylee2katie, Jun 14, 2010.

1. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    We have two 8 1/2 week old mallard hens - who decided this morning to greet me with a new found trick - they can fly!! Not good as I am in Stuttgart, Arkansas, the rice and duck capital of the world....I called our two local vets - they have never clipped wings before, so, I am not going to them....is clipping their wings something that my husband and I can do? any advice would be most helpful and greatly appreciated!! Here are my girls:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
  3. kswaterfowl

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    duplicate

4. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    They all look like that at that age....at 8 1/2 weeks there would not have been any breeding plumage to moult. [​IMG]

5. kswaterfowl

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    Quote:Hence I said, "coming into his breeding plumage." By eight and a half weeks most drakes are just starting to get their green heads coming in underneath the chin. Granted, it could be a hen, I can't really see it very well, but it looks like a drake from the juvenile feathers. All mallards look like hens when they first feather in, grey and snowy, but as they get older you can start to see differences. We can normally sex all of our ducklings by about a month old by bill color. If we are keeping drakes for breeding, we normally wait until they molt their juvenile plumage into nuptial the first season and then cull them when they molt out of their breeding plumage back into their first round of adult eclipse. That's when we decide if they measure up. (Unless we have an overly large number of males, and then we cull in the nuptial plumage for "chain-mail" on the claret, amount/size of neck ring.

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Idk, too me I know the one on top looks like a drake.

7. ottodog

ottodog Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Idaho Springs, CO
    K rookie question here, if you don't clip their wings will they fly off and not come back? I had 7 hatch Saturday and was curious about this.

8. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    well mine fly.... and I have a open top pen and they havent left yet, if mine wanted to fly away they would have left along time ago.

9. ksj0225

ksj0225 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    BUMPING UP TO THE TOP

My husband and I will need to do this today or tomorrow, our birds are a little older. Any suggestions, tips, hints, more links?

Thanks
    Kim

10. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    Quote:I found out last night that you are right. I do have a pair!! [​IMG]
    The darker one in the back (Alex) when I was giving them treats last night, I noticed that he is getting green feathers all over his head and face!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by