ADVICE ON COMPATIBILITY!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mpoland33, Apr 3, 2018.

1. mpoland33

mpoland33 Songster

Hello everyone. I'm on my way to a swap in 2 and 1/2 weeks to start my flock and I'm looking for a little advice.

I'm getting 8 hens. I'd like to get 4 varieties (2 of each) but wouldn't mind getting more varieties if it worked out.

Let me first say I'm looking for a dual purpose bird that is a big number layer that will get along with the other girls. I also have young kids so if there are any that are not good with kids, let me

know what you think.

Here is what I know farms are bringing to the swap:

RIR
    Wyandotte
    Black Australop
    Hamburg
    Speckled Sussex
    Easter Egger (I'm probably stuck on getting at least one of these since my daughter wants colorful eggs
    Buff Orpington
    Plymouth/Barred Rock
    Golden Comet

There is likely more breeds so if you have anything to add please do

Here is a list I was thinking of

RIR (2)
    Black Australop (2)
    Speckled Sussex (2)
    Easter Egger (1)
    Barred Rock (1)

Fanci Feathers Marans likes this.
  2. feedman77

feedman77 Crowing

Jun 10, 2013
    Have had all at one time in my mixed flock. They got along fine.
    I assume you are getting all hens. If so no issues. Rir and br can be bossy at times but just to each other.

3. BoyTheRooster

BoyTheRooster Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Maybe 1 Orpington instead of 2 RIR? We've got Orpingtons (blue & black though, not buff) and they are my absolute favourite chickens. Really lovely breed with a good temperament

4. Krystalbelanger

Krystalbelanger In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2018
    Milton
    I have quite the mix myself and its working out well. My RIR have quite the personalities and they are really fun to watch. I have bigger and smaller breeds and they are great. From what I gather, if you raise them up together they will be a family wither way. This is my first time having a mix like this because I used to just have silkies but mine have become a chicken family.

5. Easter_Egger04

Easter_Egger04 In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2018
    I am also heading to a swap in Maryland around the same time (maybe same one?) I’m thinking of getting some wyandottes. Anybody have any experience with them?

6. Fanci Feathers Marans

Fanci Feathers Marans Chicken Tender

Jun 26, 2017
    Missouri
    My Coop
    One thing that might need to be addressed is the health issue. I'm assuming this is your first swap? You might want to know how to spot sick birds, and to ask for NIPIP certification, though most won't have that unless they are breeders.

I would say that, since they are all going to be in a new environment, they will all get along just fine. The only thing I would look for in that area is age. Getting some POL pullets would be your best bet, but they go quickly.

Try to get pullets that are all the same age, or at least the same size, and you should be good to go.

7. Fanci Feathers Marans

Fanci Feathers Marans Chicken Tender

Jun 26, 2017
    Missouri
    My Coop
    I have had them, but they were hatchery birds, and I was young, so therefore not good examples. From what I remember they were a bit flighty and small, but layed very well.

If you get birds from a breeder, you are more likely to get bigger, meatier birds with better color, and (hopefully) better temperament. They may lay fewer eggs, though.

8. mpoland33

mpoland33 Songster

It's funny, I had these on my list before the Sussex but then I heard that the Buff only lays 175 eggs/yr or so...but I like them.

9. mpoland33

mpoland33 Songster

Any tips on how to spot sick birds? Yep, this is my first swap/first hens. Seems like most vendors that are coming are having 8-12 week old chicks. I'm planning on getting there early to try to get closer to POL but most vendors I've contacted won't have them anyway. My fear is that there won't be enough there for me to mix my flock like i'd like and I'll be stuck with less than 8 or more of one variety. I was told it would be a pretty bad idea to get close to POL and then mix with 8-12 weekers

10. BoyTheRooster

BoyTheRooster Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Yeah, but the slightly lower egg production does mean they live longer than breeds that have higher egg production. They are a very broody breed though, and broody hens don't lay as much
    Definitely get the speckled sussex! They're very pretty

mpoland33 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: