Advice on controlling feces in food/water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bmanty, Apr 6, 2017.

1. bmanty

bmanty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2017
    Fergus Falls MN
    Hi Everyone, I have my chickens food and water up on cinder blocks and there is not much room for them to stand on the blocks but somehow they always tend to get their feces in the waterbowl, etc. These are probably a good foot off the ground. Should I try to go higher or does this just happen (I am sure they will always find a way to dirty stuff up)

I do have one in a rabbit hutch right now healing from a wound so I understand she kicks stuff in the waterer I have for her. Can chickens drink ok from a hamster bottle? That would help keep things cleaner, I just do not know if they can get water ok from one of those. (we have supplies from owning guinea pigs in the past)

Thank you,

Brady

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

How much is actually getting in the water? It's virtually impossible to keep waterers 100% clear of dirt and droppings. Chickens will always find a way to dirty their water, raised and hung or not. If it's not a lot and the water is being checked or filled daily, I would not be concerned. I've watched my birds straight up peck at and eat their own droppings from the ground, much less get it into their water.

Some people use nipple or cup waterers. I have used cups, not nipples. Both are known for above average cleanliness, however it can be hard to find good ones (in my experience nipples often leak) and it may take birds a while to learn how to use them.

3. bmanty

bmanty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2017
    Fergus Falls MN
    Hi, Yeah they get checked and cleaned daily, sometimes two days but very rarely, only if we are away or something. not much gets in, maybe a few drops at most by the time it needs to be cleaned. I use the cups that you fill up and tip over to slowly fill the bowl. I may try to set up the hamster bottle and see if she can figure it out and if it works (keeping the main waterer in their too of course in case she doesn't like it or care.

Thank you,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by