Advice on converting our gazebo into a bantam coop?

Alexandra33

Chook Snuggler
9 Years
Apr 3, 2015
Northwest Ohio - The Buckeye State!
Lately we've had a hankering for some bantams, and as we are unable to keep them with our large fowl, we have decided to turn one of the other outbuildings into a separate coop. Of course, we know that a door needs to be attached at one of the two arched entryways, and hardware cloth should cover up all the slats and openings, but there are still a couple things that we would love a little input on. Which areas should be boarded up to prevent drafts while allowing ventilation? Is the wooden shingling in pretty bad shape and should we replace it with metal sheeting or something else? Does it look like we have a simple or difficult job ahead of us? Any specific advice from my knowledgeable fellow BYC-ers would be greatly appreciated.
smile.png

Thank you so much,
-Alex

I think a really pretty way to do it would be to paint all the current wood white with a paint sprayer, then mount colored painted sheets of plywood on the inside of the existing gazebo. You could leave spaces at the top for ventilation under the overhang, maybe add some awning-type windows to open in the summer. The shingles do look in bad shape...will either need to be repaired or re-done.

I think a really pretty way to do it would be to paint all the current wood white with a paint sprayer, then mount colored painted sheets of plywood on the inside of the existing gazebo. You could leave spaces at the top for ventilation under the overhang, maybe add some awning-type windows to open in the summer. The shingles do look in bad shape...will either need to be repaired or re-done.
Good Advice Here^^^

First make sure the structural members of the gazebo are strong.

Gaps at top of wall protected by eaves could make for excellent winter ventilation...
....especially if you could open the 'windows' on cupola, maybe remove windows and replace with louvers.

Good Advice Here^^^

First make sure the structural members of the gazebo are strong.

Gaps at top of wall protected by eaves could make for excellent winter ventilation...
....especially if you could open the 'windows' on cupola, maybe remove windows and replace with louvers.
Very helpful, guys!
big_smile.png
All this information will definitely come in handy. Yes, the structure is overall quite sound and well-built, it just needs a little TLC to become a safe, well-ventilated residence for my tiny birds. Thankfully, we've got a little time before and after they arrive (March 3rd) to get the job done. Thanks again, everyone!

-Alex

We actually never went forward with the conversion. :) I quickly figured out that it's entirely possible to keep bantams with large fowl after a little experimentation, and therefore, everyone's in our milkhouse coop together. :D

Sounds like you've got some great ideas for your aviary! :)

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom