Advice on coop/rabbit housing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hazel2006, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Hazel2006

Hazel2006 New Egg

Nov 12, 2012
    My husband is planning on building me a shed soon to use for chicks and rabbits. We currently have baby chicks and about nine rabbits including babies. I was wondering if it would be stupid to have the nest boxes accessible from the outside (see reference pic) and then do the same thing on The other side and use the nest box part for individual rabbit rooms so they all have their own room to go into. I would have wire cages running along the inside of the shed the nest box part would act as their rooms/nesting area. All rabbits would be kept separated. Would be very similar to the hutch pictured below but would use nesting boxes as back and wire cages as runs. Then when spring comes if I like I could just take the cages off and use it for chickens again. My hubby has a spray foam machine so it would be insulated with that. I live in ND where it is very cold in the winter and would be nice to not have to worry about changing frozen waters all the time. Do you see any major flaws with this plan? I just want to keep as much space available so the shed can be very versatile. Goats/chickens/rabbits. We have no outbuildings at our home now so want this to be very usable. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    What did you end up doing with your coop/hutch design? We have 4 rabbits and 53 chickens.. The rabbits are currently in pens inside the coop, but we will hopefully be building a new improved coop this summer.

3. Hazel2006

Hazel2006 New Egg

Nov 12, 2012
    We are just finishing the outside structure it is 24 x 16 we haven't decided how to divide it up and layout the inside as the goats, chickens and rabbits will all be inside. I will be getting two Nigerian dwarfs and have 13 chickens and nine rabbits currently. I hate to really put up any permanent walls as I'm just starting out with these animals and don't know what I will end up sticking with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by