Advice on discolored ears/comb (not an emergency)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rubyred, Dec 13, 2011.

1. rubyred

rubyred Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Hi all!

I'm hoping I might be able to get some advice on whether the discoloration (white powdery looking) on this 1 1/2 year old bantam Rhode Island Red's ears and the blackish ends of the comb seem normal. She's happy and laying well, but the new pullets have also developed some whitish discoloration on ear lobes and top of beak, which makes me wonder whether it's a fungus or mites (or maybe, thinking wishfully, dry skin?!). I'd love to have the thoughts of someone with more experience than I have! Should I be worried? Anything I should be doing?

Thank you!

[​IMG]

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    She looks fine to me but im not a pro. The black tips on the comb could be from the cold weather? Might be a bit of frost bite? Rub a little vasoline or bag balm on them maybe.

3. rubyred

Oct 30, 2010
    Thanks! I should add that the black tips have been there through the summer, so not cold related.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  4. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    It could be mites. Have you treated them lately?

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The comb looks like frostbite.
    The lobe looks like a white lobe breed.

6. rubyred

Oct 30, 2010
    Thanks to all!

So white lobe breeds start out with red lobes which then go white?
    And for mites, would it be scaly mites or other mites? I haven't seen any evidence of mites on them or in coop, but I'm not sure how I would tell if they have scaly mites. Their feet look OK as far as I can tell, not like the photos on this site.

I will definitely do a little protection on the comb to ward against frostbite!

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    With penedesencas and I believe Anconas, jaerhons etc. the lobes turn white when approaching maturity. Maybe it's just because the white portion hasn't grown yet.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  8. rubyred

Oct 30, 2010
    Oh I see! Thank you so much for the reassuring pictures! The idea of not having mites is phenomenal!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by