Advice on Duck Processing - and what to do when they are done

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CountryMom, May 11, 2009.

1. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Ok, we processed two drakes this morning. I hadn't planned on it, but they have made themselves problem boys and I had a batch of quail to do anyhow. So I have two ducks in the refridgerator and not sure what I should do next. First, I did skin them, since it was way easier to me with my lack of planning today. I have never cooked or even eaten duck, so this is an entirely new experience. Do I need to soak them in anything or rest them for a period of time in the fridge like other meats? Any suggestions on recipes? Any suggestions at all?

Thanks!

2. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    Oooh, good questions. I have a batch of swedish eggs in the incubator now, planning on keeping the girls and eating the boys but we've never processed ducks before so this will be good info to have...

[​IMG]

3. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I actually haven't processed a large bird in years. Only the quail recently. I must say I think this was way harder than the chickens I remember helping my Grandpa with.

I am going to research recipes since I have never even tasted duck! LOL The hens were so much calmer tonight. We didn't handle these guys like our older bunch. What a difference it makes.

Hope someone comes along who has done this before.

4. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    A lot of people make stir fry with their duck meat, cook it in the crockpot or I like it straight in the frying pan [​IMG] I thought that home grown chicken was good until we butchered our ducks this year. I just wish the ducks weren't so messy and didn't take so much longer to raise to butcher weight. It's soooo delicious!

5. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    How long does it take a dual purpose breed (like swedish) to reach butcher weight? I read a post that said 8 weeks? Is is more like 12?

6. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Crispy duck skin...yum. I fear you may not have saved the best part. :)

7. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas

Only if you are not strange like me and dislike skin. I make my fried chicken without skin.

8. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Quote:So do you treat the meat any different? I mean, like with deer meat we like to soak it in milk for a bit before cooking. Do I need to salt it and let it sit first? Fried sounds really good actually.

9. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    CountryMom-I only let my duck meat rest a day and fry it up. I don't salt it or anything. We skin our ducks and it tastes great! We didn't feel like going through the hassle of plucking them.

One Acre Wonder Farm-We butchered our Blue Swedish when they were 12-16 weeks because that's when we had the time to do it.

You guys will not be disappointed with duck meat [​IMG]

10. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008

Only if you are not strange like me and dislike skin. I make my fried chicken without skin.

I believe fried chicken without skin just may be illegal [​IMG]

I plan on getting some muscovy soon so I will keep tabs on this thread to hear some ideas.

What kind of quail do you raise?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by