1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice on easy/cheep incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nitrostreak, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    Don't mind the pun in the title...

Ok, here's the gist of it.

I would really love to get a Brinsea mini advance incubator, but it's just so expensive everywhere I look! For a college student working minimum wage ~20 hours a week, $150 is a LOT of money! [​IMG]

I tried a super cheap, $17 incubator, but that was a complete failure. The light bulb it came with burnt out on the second day of the test run, and I can't find any that will fit it. Complete bust and a waste of seventeen bucks.

Does anyone have suggestions for /relatively/ cheap incubators? I suppose I'll end up having to get a manual turning 'bator... My primary aversion to one of those is just that with school and work, I have no idea when I'll be at home and when I won't.

This is frustrating!

Oh, and to make it worse, my little brother has his heart AND his teacher's heart set on incubating some eggs from our bantams for his science project this year! [​IMG]

tl;dr I need a cheap incubator that needs minimal manual involvement.

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I have two home made incubators, one is made of syrophone and the other a cooler. In it is a computer fan for circulation, a water heater theromastat and lamp wired to the thermostat to control the temp.. a wired flooring with napkins on it for when the baby chicks hatch they have something for there little feet to grip and a bowl of water with sponges in it to obtain humidity. That's it..

3. BunnyMomma

BunnyMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    HI, visit my BYC page and take a look at my Pan-O-Bator. I set mine up for less than 7.00 total. I absolutely love it. So much infact that I use two of them quite often.

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by