Advice on female duck biting

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cashewsmom, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Cashewsmom

Cashewsmom New Egg

Nov 9, 2016
    [​IMG]

I finally joined in hopes to get some insight on my duck. I am the proud owner of a female duck named Cashew. Shes a year and a half and has been a great girl... up until this last molt. She follows me everywhere and cries if she cant find me, so I imagine she must still like me? But now shes gotten in the habit of biting me quite hard! hard enough to leave marks, but not break any skin. I thought she was just moody due to the molt but that was a little while ago and shes still quite aggressive. I would appreciate any advice or insight as I'm a first time duck mom! (Also in case its relevant, she does not bite anyone else but me! She wont let anyone else pet her or hold her but she wont show any aggressive behaviour towards them either)

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Has she laid any eggs yet? I don't know much about ducks but, I wonder if she pictures you as a "drake.", I think your best advice will come from the folks at the "Duck thread."

If you put that in the search box, it will come up.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Cashewsmom, and :welcome! Pleased you joined joined our poultry family! Best wishes to you and Cashew! She's a doll! :)

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Cashew is telling you she needs a duck friend... doesn't have to be a drake, another duck will do just fine... drakes mate, but females without a mate will play 'Hop on Top' with each other as well... until she has another duck to socialize with, she with most likely keep trying to latch onto you with her bill... especially if she is shuffling her feet when she 'bites' you...

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It appears that RavynFallen has given you a good reason for Cashew's biting issue. Is it possible to find her a friend?

Thanks for joining us!

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I agree with Rayvn, she wants a buddy, and honestly, wouldn't get a drake if you only have one hen, and especially if you do not have a large water source to mate in, he will mate with her too much since she is the only hen, and if they don't have water to mate in, he can give her leg issues by mating with her on land. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by