Advice on fox proofing coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kat79, May 16, 2018.

1. kat79

kat79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    I have just lost my last 2 ducks ( female and a drake muscovy), 2 silkies and a mixed breed to what i believe was a fox. As I never had trouble with foxes before til now( I live in the suburbs) What does everyone use to lay under their coops? normal chicken wire or wire with smaller holes?

2. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2017
    Sorry for your loss.
    Chicken wire does nothing to keep predators out. They can reach through, tear through, or in the case of snakes and rats can just squeeze through.
    You want hardware cloth. It's a metal mesh, very durable. Buy it at your nearest hardware store, wrap the entire structure in hardware cloth. If you dig a trench outside the pen and put the hardware cloth about 10 inches straight down, then out in all directions a couple feet from there, that should keep digging animals out.

Harley Chick likes this.
  3. kat79

kat79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Thank you fishkeeper.

Fantastic. Thank you so much you saved me making a huge mistake.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Did the predator get into your coop...at night?
    Post pics of coop and we can help you bolster it.

5. JackE

JackE Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    You can surround a much larger area for less $$$, with electrified poultry net. It's a whole lot easier to install, also. No digging and setting posts, and wrestling with yards of high dollar hardware cloth. I have my coop surrounded with 650' of it, and have not lost a bird to a ground predator, in 6yrs. This is where I got my netting.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/...MIn9nbt4uN2wIVEVmGCh0rRg24EAAYASAAEgL6EPD_BwE

rita2paul and lazy gardener like this.
  6. Duckstail

Duckstail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2018

500 $ electric fences cheaper than hardware cloth? I knew new hardware cloth was expensive but dang!!!

Ifu live in the suburbs I'm thinking it's more of a raccoon or a coyote

7. JackE

JackE Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Yes, as I said, a MUCH larger area, for LESS. Try fencing the area I have, with hardware cloth, for less money. And, I did not buy it all at once. Started with 300', bought the rest over a couple years. After a couple of near total wipeouts by the local foxes, installing this fence was one of the best things I've done for my birds.

Duckstail and lazy gardener like this.
  8. rita2paul

rita2paul Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Gloucestershire
    i totally agree, electric fencing all the time, i have kept poultry for 30 years and never lost a bird to a fox.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by