Advice on frequncy of egg collection.

I collect mine three times in the morning as that's when my girls lay. Sadly doesn't increase daily rate but does stop my broody ladies from deciding to sit

Collecting often does not increase production .....nor will it deter a serious broody hen.

I collect once a day when the weather is good, when I close up the pop door at dusk.
In winter I collect more often to avoid cracked eggs from freezing.
If I'm collecting for hatching when it's still really cold, I go out every hour.

I agree. Collecting them more often will not cause them to lay any more or any less. There is a lot of discussion and debate on whether letting the eggs pile up affects if a hen goes broody. My opinion is that letting the eggs pile up will not cause a hen to go broody, collecting them often will not prevent a hen from going broody, but if a hen is thinking about going broody letting them pile up may help her make up her mind. I use fake eggs (golf balls) for that.

I’m retired and around a lot. I collect them whenever I’m down there. That may be once a day when I lock them up at night or it may be several times a day. But I do make sure they are collected at least once a day. I don’t like to leave eggs in the nest overnight. I think that can attract snakes and maybe rats. Mine are securely locked up at night so I don’t worry about the eggs attracting possums and skunks.

Even if you have a hen go broody and you have a rooster with the flock to fertilize the eggs, as long as you collect them once a day they are good to eat, even if they have been under a broody all day. If you don’t collect them daily and they are under a broody overnight, you can get a surprise when you open them.

Back
Top Bottom