Advice on Galvanized Chicken Cage predator proofing

mspower32

Chirping
Jun 15, 2019
Hello, hoping someone might be able to give me some advice, we purchased a galvanized chicken cage for safety while we are not at home with work, we covered the sides and part of the roof with 1/2 inch welded mesh and predator skirt. On the roof there is a tarp which covers entire run however the welded mesh does not go over the entire roof as under the tarp there is 25mm x 25mm square wire mesh with 1.1mm gauge which came with the cage (see 1st and 2nd pic without the tarp) we covered with welded mesh as we were not happy with the safety of the mesh which was included just not safe enough. I thought because there is wire already under the tarp and the tarp is on the roof that i wont need to put the welded 1/2 inch mesh over entire cage however i am now worried re pine martin or something else climbing its way up the side wall onto the slanted roof and squirming under the tarp and then through the wire, i dont even know if an animal is capable of this but then again who knows, I also bent the predator skirt of welded mesh and have pinned down with lots of pegs and added extra mesh to the four corners, i then added electric fence with wire tape low to the ground all around the cage even though i was thinking of electrifying the whole cage only for i cant suspend it off the ground lol, would love to see a fox getting a good bang on the nose, the very sturdy coop i purchased from Green Hen Works is inside the cage atm but will be moved outside and connected to the back of the cage as this will give the birds more space. The wire is secured to the poles with heavy duty plastic ties and also galvanized wire ties which were twisted and tightened with a snips although i found if you twist too much the bloody wire just breaks, will get stronger wire in future and add, I would really like some advice or any more ideas which would make the cage 100% predator proof.
Also i have a great big sand ring which is closer to my house than where the cage is atm at the back of the barn i can see it from my bedroom window but not from living area, my two miniature horses occupy the sand-ring more so in winter though they are out on pasture all summer until about November, i am thinking maybe the cage would be better inside the sand ring although I have heard that predators can dig down into sand a lot easier than earth so I am not decided on moving it yet, also i feel bad putting such a big cage in the horses sand ring which they love to hang out there but on the other hand the sand ring is central to everything the birds love, the barn, the manure pile where they spend most of their time and they love having sand baths there so some good advice would be really great although my fiance will prob go crazy if we have to move the cage although as we have to un-peg everything and turn it on its side to move the coop out anyway then well a lot of work to move the cage and coop and get the cage over a fence?? and into the sand ring i do not even know if this is possible, sounds very difficult although could get some family and friends to help. A third option is if i want the cage closer to my house is to put it in my graveled driveway just outside my living area of my bungalow however may not be suitable ground for chickens although the walk fine on the gravel atm, its all very confusing as their cage is at the back of the house but they like to hang around the side front of the house mainly in the sand ring and barn. I was hoping the tarp would stop anything from getting in through the roof section. Thanks so much in advance.

Attachments

• s-l500 (1).jpg
    s-l500 (1).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 23
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 16
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190614_180316.jpg
    20190614_180316.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20190614_180325.jpg
    20190614_180325.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
You appear to be going for overkill. With the hot wire, especially baited with something your foxes and pine martens would find irresistible such as peanut butter, should prevent any varmint from wanting to do any thorough exploration of the fortress.

If you'd include your location, we could have a better idea of the sort of predators you have. Also, don't forget snakes. Some climb.

You appear to be going for overkill. With the hot wire, especially baited with something your foxes and pine martens would find irresistible such as peanut butter, should prevent any varmint from wanting to do any thorough exploration of the fortress.

If you'd include your location, we could have a better idea of the sort of predators you have. Also, don't forget snakes. Some climb.

Azygous, I have 3 hens and 1 cockerel, receiving 4 battery hens on 22nd from littlehill rescue. I will use the hot wire at night time and when i have work, it will then be on until i come home, unfortunately the birds will have to stay in the cage until i get home from work which is from 7am until 9pm, when I am home they are free ranging, i work 3 days x 12 hour shifts per week, and most of the time when I am working my partner is off, atm they are living in my barn, they have a lovely spacious stable to themselves with roosts, nest boxes etc, my neighbor said its hogheaven lol, they are roosting about 20 foot up on the stable wall(overhead their stable coop) which i believe nothing could get them up there hopefully as they have so many places to escape, also the 2 horses are in and out of the stables and sandring through most of the night, they really love looking down on everything, however this is not suitable for a number of reasons, when i lock their coop at night they are very happy way up high and in the morning they all fly down into the barn and they are then locked out of their coop so they go into the horses stables where i have deep beds which work very well for me and my 2 miniature horses but the chickens scratch up the deep bedding and then where there was no smell i can now smell the ammonia and this is not good as deep bedding should not be disturbed as the strong ammonia is dangerous for my horses and myself to be breathing in and probably the chickens too, also it is not pleasant, during this time they have water to drink as they drink from the horses buckets anyway and have access to the sand ring outside but have to wait for me to come out and let them back into their coop and they are very glad to see me about 7.30 -8 am, however this is definitely not suitable for the winter months as the days will be alot darker and the sand ring is not predator proof, usually if we go out it is not for long and we put them into the barn and pull the large barn door closed, they potter around and in out their coop, i watch them on camera a lot as i have Arlo Pro i can move it anywhere i like. They just love the sand ring spending all their time there and in the manure pit, they can go out to the huge garden but they seem to favor the sand ring and manure pile over the garden, if i take them out to the garden they will stay there with me and explore but I am no sooner gone into the house and they return to the sand ring. Sorry for long posts its all so confusing.

Marten might try to get under tarp, or chew thru it.
Looks like one heck of nice run!

Welcome to BYC! @mspower32
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-6-15_15-41-18.png

Hi aart, I was worried that may happen but i thought i was exaggerating, yes I will cover the rest of roof with 1 inch welded mesh as I have some spare , do you think that will do or should I get more 1/2 inch welded mesh?? Thanks for reply, we put alot of work into the run, sorry for late reply had 12 hour shift today at work.

Hi aart, I was worried that may happen but i thought i was exaggerating, yes I will cover the rest of roof with 1 inch welded mesh as I have some spare , do you think that will do or should I get more 1/2 inch welded mesh?? Thanks for reply, we put alot of work into the run, sorry for late reply had 12 hour shift today at work.
1" should do it, only the smallest of the weasel family can get thru that.

Back
Top Bottom